Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Customizing a windows screensaver?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DAM091

DAM091

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Hi. I'm wondering if one of you experts out there can tell me if what I'm looking for is possible, and if so, maybe teach me how to do it. I'm looking to tweak the 3d text screensaver that comes stock with Windows XP.

Maybe it's easier if I explain my goal. I want to have a single character rotate in the center of the screen, nice and large. Specifically, it's a Triforce. Feel free to laugh. :hysterical: I downloaded a font that has a Triforce character, and I set the 3d text size to its largest setting, and the rotation type to Spin. Unfortunately, the text also moves to the left and right of the screen. I'm trying to get it to simply rotate in the center.

I thought making the size larger so as to minimize the lateral movement was a possible alternative if there's no way to actually alter the movement pattern. But honestly, I wouldn't know if either is really possible. Maybe there's a whole nother way to get the results I'm looking for.

Can anyone tell me if this is doable? I know it may seem silly, but I'd really appreciate it. Also, any ideas that might lead me to these results in a different way would be great too.

Thanks to anyone who can actually help.

-David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

That is perhaps the coolest idea I've heard this week! :)

The built-in 3D Text screen saver, however, can't be tweaked that way. You might be able to find a screensaver online that does that, however you must exercise extreme caution if you search for one. "screensaver" is one of the most heavily used lures to get you to install malware. Indeed, I would bet anyone $5 that the first page of Google results for "screensaver" or any variation thereof is 50% malware, 25% browser exploits to install malware, and 15% people asking about screensavers. That means you'll have to wade through a large amount of potentially hazardous material in such a search.

Please do let me know if you find a solution since this would be a cool trick!

Edited by Andrew, 28 December 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#3 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for making me feel less like a giant dork. Or at least, that I'm not the only dork around.

The 2nd part of it is the reflection. I didn't even realize how that reflection option worked. I chose a picture of young Link pulling the Master Sword from its pedestal. (I figure it's something you might have seen in the reflection of the Triforce.) I had to rotate it 180 degrees and crop it so you can figure out what's going on. I haven't perfected it yet.

We need more nerds out there to join us. Maybe together, we can create a super dorky screensaver!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users