Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting the HD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 old_foo

old_foo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:26 PM

Just out of curosity, will my hardware continue to function after I format my Hard Drive? Will my CD player still operate so I can reinstall the OS and programs etc. or will my drivers all be lost rendering the system a paralyzed hunk of metal? I'd like to format my HD and then reinstall everything to start fresh, but I'm afraid to do so. Anyone have an answer? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:43 PM

Depends on what operating system you are using and what your computer's bios supports. If you installing Win98 or above you can boot directly from the CD and install from there. It will load all the necsesary devices drivers as the operating system installs.

If your bios does not support boot off a cdrom, then you can make a boot disk from :

http://www.bootdisks.com and use that to boot off of. Then you can access the cdrom and run the setup from that.

#3 Xemus

Xemus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:50 PM

99% of harddrives are recognized by default with no OS installed.
Newer SATA drives and SCSI drives need additional drivers loaded before Windows Setup will recognize them, but you should have a floppy with the drivers if you have this type of scenario.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users