Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand NEW disk drive installed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

I recently had a rootkit that corrupted my hard drive (I accidentally opened spam in my e-mail account) so I had to get a new one installed. After I got the brand new hard drive and reinstalled everything, my computer started running SLOWLY.

I reinstalled Miro w/ Thepiratebay.org and noticed that the computer was slow after that, even when those programs weren't open. So I uninstalled everything possible that I didn't need, including Miro/Thepiratebay with a program called Revo Uninstaller. I cleaned the disc space, defragmented, etc. (I read the BP's tutorial and followed all of those instructions in re having a slow computer.)

I'm not sure if this matters, but I noticed that I have 219GB capacity, with 215 GB free (71% free space.) I have no idea how 29GB are being used up. I don't have any pictures, videos or music downloaded, although some may be hidden and I just can't find them. With my old disk drive, I always had 89%+ free space. I also noticed that I no longer have a D: drive since the tech installed the new disk drive. Not sure if that matters either. I'm not very knowledgeable with computers, just enough to screw something up.

I have Windows XP, Service Pack 3 with Vipre Internet Security, Malwarebytes Pro (paid edition) and I'm using Mozilla Firefox. I have some documents in word. That's it.

Now the CPU is almost constantly spiking to 100%. Sometimes the computer freezes and I have to manually turn it off and back on again (sometimes twice in a row.) When I open a 2nd screen, it will partially appear on top of the 1st screen and then it takes 5 seconds or so until it fully appears.

Someone told me to run a search of logs. I found a few thousand "edb" logs but I read that they are important and I'm afraid to erase or change anything. I tried running the Vipre and Malwarebytes in safe mode. I've read everything possible on the topic of slow computers but nothing works or it is too advanced for me to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, -EILEENNOLA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

I reinstalled Miro w/ Thepiratebay.org and noticed that the computer was slow after that,

I think you answered your own question. You downloaded something from Thepiratebay and it was probably infected.

#3 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

I know, it was stupid but is there any way to fix it? I will never install it or anything like it again. -eileen

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:38 AM

Try a clean install and this time dont install pirated software!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

Boot to the XP CD and run a new installation. Before installing, delete and recreate the partition(s) and format.

#6 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for answering, I really appreciate it.

I read the BC tutorial on creating and formatting a partition in Windows but got stuck. I only have a (c:) drive and I don't see a place where there is unallocated space. Also, I tried to see how to format - is that the Recovery Console tutorial?

I feel like such an idiot for creating this problem in the first place and now not being able to fix it. Thanks for your help. -eileen

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

I only have a (c:) drive and I don't see a place where there is unallocated space.

Once the C: drive is deleted, there will be a "void" (unallocated space). Format this space and install Windows anew to the newly created partition.
:thumbup2:

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for answering, I really appreciate it.

I read the BC tutorial on creating and formatting a partition in Windows but got stuck. I only have a (c:) drive and I don't see a place where there is unallocated space. Also, I tried to see how to format - is that the Recovery Console tutorial?

I feel like such an idiot for creating this problem in the first place and now not being able to fix it. Thanks for your help. -eileen

Be warned that if there is anything on the hard drive you want to keep you need to back it up before removing the partition or it will be gone for good.

Also one other thought if you can create a diagnostic boot CD for your old drive brand, shortcuts here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html
and there is nothing on it that you care about recovering you could try zeroing the drive and using it. I'd bet the drive itself is OK, just the structure is corrupted.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I've read and re-read everything I could but I don't feel comfortable deleting, creating a new partition and formatting. I'm a beginner and the BC tutorials are too advanced for me. I see now that that's how I caused the problem in the first place - I don't know anything about computers and should have just stuck to using Mozilla and Word.

Well, I was ignorant not to ask an expert or try to research anything before blindly following a friend's suggestion and downloading strange things. So thank you everyone so much for trying to help me. I'm such a dumb @$% and I'm still kicking myself! -eileen

#10 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

I tried to update from IE 6 to IE 7 and got this:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB2618444)Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

I can't install it this update. Is my only choice to delete, create a new partition and format? Is there anything else I can try? Thanks, -eileen

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Where did you get your Windows disk?

Louis

#12 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

hamluis - I think what you're asking me is info about the new disk that was installed(?) On the sales receipt ($54.99) , it has:

7821985 WDBAAX3200E

320GB INTERNAL 3.4 7200RPM S

I have a Gateway and the Windows disk came with the computer.

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
SP3

Inten®
Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz
2.80 GHz. 1.99 GB of Ram
Physical Address Extention

I'm running all of these tests and the same errors show up (this is MiniToolBox):

1.) Error: (01/09/2012 10:13:00 AM) (Source: ESENT) (User: )
Description: wuaueng.dll (1572) SUS20ClientDataStore: The version store for this instance (0) has reached its maximum size of 8Mb. It is likely that a long-running transaction is preventing cleanup of the version store and causing it to build up in size. Updates will be rejected until the long-running transaction has been completely committed or rolled back.

Possible long-running transaction:

SessionId: 0x02540320

Session-context: 0x00000000

Session-context ThreadId: 0x0000063C

2.) Error: (01/09/2012 09:11:03 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the lxeaCATSCustConnectService service to connect.

Error: (01/06/2012 04:21:08 PM) (Source: BROWSER) (User: )
Description: The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{40FB82A7-2315-4E30-BFD0-3EBAC9514C4C}.
The backup browser is stopping.

Error: (01/06/2012 04:19:59 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: SYSTEM)
Description: The server {7F6316B4-4D69-4765-B0A3-B2598F2FA80A} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Of course I have no idea what all of this means or how to fix it. Thanks, -eileen

#13 EILEENNOLA

EILEENNOLA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Resolved, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users