Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: considering replacing desktop w/laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

Okay, maybe it's not all that unusual. but it is to me, so....here goes. the template first:

My budget for the new computer is: $1000(hopefully less!)

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? mail, web browsing, small Access databases, a little bit of Word(not heavy use of this one) and lots of Excel use.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Office 2010(my issue has to do with this, see below), camera software to download pics,

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? not really. my daughter and I play games on facebook. I have a Hoyle games installed on my old desktop, probably will keep it if it's compatible. but, really not much game use.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? don't run alot of programs at the same time, usually at most about 3 at the same time

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? yes, and no. a friend downloaded a bunch of music to my desktop, alot of which I have removed. I don't plan on storing alot of music. I might store alot of pics tho.

okay, now for my issue. I was able to purchase Office 2010 through my work for only $10, a special deal at work. and I am able to download the software onto two machines. I downloaded it onto my netbook and have held off downloading to this desktop for a few reasons. I had posted a thread about the compatibility with my old desktop that uses XP so that was solved. but now that I got some surprise money I am seriously considering buying a laptop to replace this "ancient" (it's 6.5 years old now). I do keep hearing in my head "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But, my feeling is that it won't last too much longer. but maybe it will!! My monitor just died a few weeks ago. My dilemma is that if I buy a new laptop I'd rather have Office 2010 on that machine instead of the ancient desktop. I really don't think I'm going to need 1tb of hard disk space if I buy a new desktop(which is the size of some desktops I was perusing in the ads yesterday), hence wanting a laptop instead. I have 142gb still available(don't recall what I started with, maybe 250gb?) on my desktop right now so that tells me I don't need a humongoloid hard drive. not to mention that the laptop would be more portable. So, if I download the Office software onto my current desktop I would have to add that software to the new laptop and then obviously it would cost more money, which is what I'm trying to avoid! I have an email in to Microsoft to find out if there's a time limit to download Office 2010 onto the second machine. so, while I wait....thought I'd post my new laptop question here.

well, hopefully this all made sense. I don't know what laptop to buy so thought I'd come here for advice. I kinda think that a 500gb hard drive would be plenty big for my use, and may be even too big. Not sure. The budget number above is in case I do have to buy Office 2010. I was not seeing what software was included in the ads I was looking at either. I'm thinking Office 2010 is not standard and I would have to add that, right? So, I'm hoping to stay closer to $500 if possible and then download Office 2010 onto my second (new) machine.

Thanks in advance and please ask me anything that I might have forgotten. Sorry this got so long!!

Edited by tobyo, 28 December 2011 - 02:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

just found the size of my hard drive, thought I would post that too.

total size: 182gb
total free space: 142gb

so, yea, not a hard disk hog :)

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

so.....since I posted the above yesterday I've been doing some reading and I'm pretty much convinced that I will replace the desktop with a laptop. so, if you want to delete this thread, feel free. thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users