Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot access regedit or restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 choicykid

choicykid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

I got a malware recently "Security Center 2012" which now will not allow me to access the internet instead posting facke viral scans etc. Tried to go to system restore in safe mode, but apparently the virus turned off system restore and I have no restore points. (I certainly never turned it off) Then tried in safe made start/run and typed regedit and still got the lovely popup malware. Tried downloading microsoft anitmalware onto a USB on another computer and open it under safe mode and it tried and started to open it, then midprogram crashed and generated the same fake.

Is there any hope or must I take it into a computer hospital?

Edited by hamluis, 28 December 2011 - 01:15 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Download malwarebytes

Copy it to the infected PC using a flash drive

Boot the PC to safemode with networking

Right click on installer

Select-Run as administrator

It should get installed ,run a full scan

Good luck

Edited by narenxp, 28 December 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#3 choicykid

choicykid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

I am so grateful for your help. This website has restored my faith in humanity. I followed the very clearly written steps for help and then needed to follow some other directions for undoing the block on my firewall and the ability to update windows. For now, all is well. Again, thank you so much.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users