Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engines Will Not Work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 far733

far733

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

My work computer (HP Compaq L1906) will not allow search engines to work. I can't access websites such as google, bing, etc. When I try to a search from the google toolbar, it says that the Internet Explorer can't display the page. My OS is Windows XP and I am currently using IE8 as my browser. I have done the following in an attempt to fix the problem:
Restored the computer to an earlier time
Reinstalled IE8
Ran ComboFix
Ran Anti-Malware Full Scan
Ran Microsoft Security Essentials Full Scan. This showed the following virus: Win32/Sirefef.N. file:C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8D290BB5-E59C-462B-A0EE-E8949A1E4344}\RP1218\A0180538.sys However, the scan could not remove it.

None of the above has fixed the problem. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

Edited by far733, 28 December 2011 - 04:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

I take it this is a business computer?

If so, I strongly recommend you to ask your IT suppport/network Administrator to fix this. After all they are paid to do so.

I ask this for several reasons:
  • There may be restrictions and modifications installed on such machines that could be damaged or altered by the actions we take to remove Malware.
  • Any infection could jump terminals in a computer network.
  • There may also be legal issues regarding any loss of business data that I do not wish to deal with.
  • Some people who come here use their computers for work, and the computers may contain the patient records of a physician or the financial records of an accountant's clients or credit card and bank account information of their employer's customers.
  • There may be tremendous risks and legal liability for such users for not fully securing the computer. We will not know this unless we ask. We do not want to be accidentally putting those we help in vulnerable positions for law suits.
  • Business factors outweigh technical factors in making the reformat and reinstall decision. Sometimes friends give missing CDs or lack of expertise as a reason for not doing a reformat and reinstall.
  • The cost of replacing missing Windows XP and MS Office CDs and getting an Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer to come in for 3 hours to do the reinstall and apply all the critical updates, is trivial compared with the potential cost of a multi-million dollar lawsuit for breach of trust if confidential client or patient information is disclosed.
  • In specific situations where highly confidential information about others is on the computer, and a backdoor virus or trojan is found, we are helping people more by identifying that they have a backdoor trojan which puts them in a particularly vulnerable situation and sending them to seek local professional help from a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer or Certified Information Systems Security Professional or Global Information Assurance Certification Certified Security Expert or Certified Computing Professional or Internet Service Provider than we would be trying to fully resolve their problems long distance.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users