Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Security 2012

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gidgeybob

gidgeybob

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

The tutorials here on this site were very helpful in figuring out how to remove this rogue. I ran Rkill and Malware Bytes like it said and after the third try, everything seems okay. My only issue is that 'My Documents' opens up at odd times on its own. Could this have been cause by the virus? What can I do about it? It doesn't happen right at startup... just randomly and usually when I am away from the computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hi

Check this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555294

Good luck

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

As a quick test instead of leaving it on the internet I would either turn off the wireless or unplug the Ethernet cable whichever is being used and see if My Documents still opens.

I suspect the key is randomly when the computer isn't being used.

Post back the results. I'm afraid you may still have issues lurking.

Edited by rotor123, 30 December 2011 - 05:03 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 gidgeybob

gidgeybob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

If the wifi button is switched off, my documents does not open and everything seems normal. When i switch it back on, I get messages about security updates that need to install. I also tried to print something the other night and got a message that the printer spooler needs to be restarted. I don't even have any installed printers listed and cannot reinstall. I tried going to google and typed in "printer spooler eroor". Several links were listed, such as one on microsoft, which I clicked but was redirected to a fake website. This kept occuring, so I switched the wifi off again. I'm sure this is another bug but with my work schedule I haven't had time to look into it. Malware bytes showed no results.

Probably a dumb question, but these problems are on my bf's laptop. Am I putting my own laptop at risk by using his network? This virus has me paranoid.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

If the wifi button is switched off, my documents does not open and everything seems normal. When i switch it back on, I get messages about security updates that need to install. I also tried to print something the other night and got a message that the printer spooler needs to be restarted. I don't even have any installed printers listed and cannot reinstall. I tried going to google and typed in "printer spooler eroor". Several links were listed, such as one on microsoft, which I clicked but was redirected to a fake website. This kept occuring, so I switched the wifi off again. I'm sure this is another bug but with my work schedule I haven't had time to look into it. Malware bytes showed no results.

Probably a dumb question, but these problems are on my bf's laptop. Am I putting my own laptop at risk by using his network? This virus has me paranoid.

You are right to be Paranoid IMO. I'm paranoid enough the the cheap laptop I bought only for use for financial doings is only used for that, No Email, No Browsing, Kept up to date and current Antivirus. I have a Desktop and a second laptop for everything else. A cheap $200 Netbook would do for that purpose for most people. I bought a L/T so I could back up financial info to DVD.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I suggest for the time being he keeps it off of the internet as someone could be rummaging around looking for financial information or just being nosey.

There are AFAIK viruses that can spread over a network. OTOH if all you are doing is sharing the Internet and not networked to share files?

We do have forums here for Virus removal. They can also check to be sure you got all of the Virus. Suggested.

Which computer was getting the redirects only his or both. If both I suggest staying off his Internet connection if yours only does it there and not at home.

Stray thoughts.
Rkill is not a cleaner it is used to kill running Malware so that a cleaner can be run.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 January 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 gidgeybob

gidgeybob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

His is the only one having the redirects but I'm going to switch over to my verizon aircard just for safety's sake.
I am running Malware Bytes right now. I think another problem is that I can't re-enable the firewall on his laptop. So I am unsure if we're dealing with the remnants of Vista Security bug or another one altogether. I will be posting logs as soon as possible.

I think having a netbook solely for managing finances would be a great idea btw.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Make sure you don't post logs in this forum. Remind him not to do financial things on that computer til the all clear is given.

Go to the
Am I infected? What do I do? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html
or follow the steps listed at Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and post requested logs in indicated forum.

Whichever one you choose read the directions before posting.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2012 - 11:21 AM.
Edited to point to Prep Guide.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users