Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I know that I am infected but cannot download, open, install anything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 starryjlc

starryjlc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

I am able to get on the Internet but I am not able to download, install, open, or run anything. I believe there is a problem with opening all exe files also. Since I cannot download anything, I am not able to run virus scans and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. WHat do I do now?

Edited by starryjlc, 28 December 2011 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,053 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Can you reboot in "safe mode with networking and connect to the Internet? If so, try downloading from that mode.

If you cannot use the Internet or download any required programs to the infected machine, try downloading them from another computer (family member, friend, library, etc) with an Internet connection. Save to a USB (flash, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD/DVD, transfer to the infected machine, then install and run the program(s).

I recommend using a "write protected" USB drive with a locking switch on the side or on the back. This write enabled/write block feature can be used to protect anything on the USB drive from being altered or deleted by the malware. If you cannot find a write protected flash drive, then use a SD card with a SD-to-USB adapter.

Some malware infections will alter file associations and registry keys corresponding to them so programs will not work properly. In order to get them working again this modification needs to be repaired. This is a small tool that restores the default exe association.

Please download ExeFix.scr by Farbar for Windows XP and save it to a USB flash drive or to the root of the system drive (usually C:).
  • Important! Boot your computer into the user account that is having trouble running exe files.
  • Double-click on ExeFix.scr to run it.
  • The tool notifies you within a fraction of a second to reboot the computer, please do so.
Note: If the tool did not run try changing the file extension to .com or .bat or .cmd or .pif.
Also note that in order for the fix to work, you need to be booted to the user account that is having trouble running exe files.

These are other tools that will repair file associations altered by malware:
CAUTION: Some of these steps involve making changes in the Windows registry. Always Create a New Restore Point and back up your registry before making any changes. Vista/Windows 7 users can refer to these instructions. If you're not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable. ERUNT or ERUNTgui is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Note: ERUNT and NTREGOPT will only work correctly in Windows 7 and Vista if you turn off User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Control Panel
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 starryjlc

starryjlc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

thanks for all the info. I will try and reboot in safe mode tonight when I get home from work. I have just been very frustrated. Viruses are the devil LOL I am downloaded the files onto a USB drive and then will see if I can get them to download from there.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,053 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

You're welcome and good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif