Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MBAM

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:04 AM

Hello,

I got an upgrade from MBam and in that upgrade version have you a pup and pum function.
My question in these is: What is Pum.?
Pup is from my opinion; short screen with advertisement, but I am not for 100 % sure, but Pum.?
This is the first time that I did read about Pum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:45 AM

PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program
PUM - Potentiaoally Unwanted Modifcation

If you launch MBAM, click the Settings tab, then choose Scanner Settings you will see the options for taking action with PUPs or PUMs. Since such programs are not necessarily malicious, MBAM gives you the choice of scanning for them.

A Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) is a very broad threat category which can include any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as malicious. They may also be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

Thank you for your reply, quietman7

It is a lot of information what I must to read, but I have at this moment a question about the Pum:

Sometimes have I downloaded programs where I got the question meanwhile I installed the program or I want make a toolbar as default. For example: Ask toolbar.
I remove always the finches: ( I do hope that is the right name for this, another name do I not know) ; in their program and when I have done, than hit I the next button, the program will been installed on my drive without their toolbar.
Now was I reading the link about Pup and Pum and thought: Is it maybe smart from me, when I cancel the download for secure.?
Further is my thought: If a program maker comes with this sort things, than is it also possible that I get from them and the sub companies, Spam.
With sub companies do I mean: Companies that have a partnership with the program maker of the downloaded program.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

Many toolbars and Add-ons come bundled with other software and can be the source of various issues and problems. Even major anti-virus vendors are bundling them so its not uncommon to find these programs on your computer after installation. They usually can be removed via Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7, so always check there first.

Note: Ask.com is a toolbar distributed by Ask Jeeves, a search engine that can be difficult to remove. Once installed the program changes your default search engine and home page to Ask.com. It is often bundled with "free software" such as wallpaper and screensavers offered by third party software vendors. The toolbar is also aggressively offered via annoying banner ads and pop ups advertised on third party web sites that target kids. In many cases, users don't even know how or when the toolbar had been installed.

I recommend you remove it. Why?

6. Disclaimer of Warranty: YOU ACCESS AND USE THE TOOLBAR AT YOUR SOLE RISK. WE PROVIDE THE TOOLBAR ON AN "AS IS," AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND...WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES CONCERNING THE TOOLBAR, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF THE TOOLBAR...

Ask Search End User License Agreement

#5 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

Even major anti-virus vendors are bundling them so its not uncommon to find these programs on your computer after installation.

Thank you for the information, I understand.
So when I see a program on Internet where I say to myself, okay hey, that likes me a nice program, I download that and install and with the installation do I see that in that program what I have downloaded, there's a toolbar what I do not like, than I cancel that.
But about anti-Virus programs, yeah that is a problem. I do mean: An anti-Virus program have we needed, without that can we to do: Of course, but without an anti-Virus program take the user the risk that the user get little animals.
Of course there are anti-Virus programs without ads and toolbars and whatever, but when the user won't pay for the commercial version, than got the user with freeware this sort things.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

do I see that in that program what I have downloaded, there's a toolbar what I do not like, than I cancel that.

Depends on how it's bundled. In some cases, you will be advised before installation (by reading a EULA)...other times during installation where you will be given options to install or not install. We are seeing more cases where installation is selected for you by default unless you uncheck the box not to install. Then there are vendors who will attempt to hide that information so it's installed without your knowledge.

#7 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:27 AM

Oke, but when I install a downloaded program( not anti-Virus program) and during the installation get I the question or I want install the toolbar from the third party as my default engine and I say no, so I fink off that option and I go further with the installation by clicking next, than I risk Spam, I suppose.
At least, I think that I have right, because when I hit the next button, than get the third party also my IP-adress, also do they say, they don't.
That is the reason that I had letting know, that it is better that I cancel the installation procedure.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

If you choose to opt out of installing a toolbar and the setup process does not allow you to keep that choice, then I would not use the software.

#9 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

If you choose to opt out of installing a toolbar and the setup process does not allow you to keep that choice, then I would not use the software.

Alright, but what will be happen when a program that you install on the drive, allows the setup process without that choice of Toolbar and whatever.?
When I get those programs than I fink always off that options.
Why? Well I am the Boss over my machine and I don't let happen that a strange company install a Toolbar or some thing on my machine. When I install that program and they asking me, or I want make a Toolbar as my default, than I don't trust.
But I follow messages from users were they asking for help at Hijackthis members also do I hearing sounds in my country what you must not to do, I was reading the informations what you gave me, so I get those thoughts.

Now do I thinking: Maybi is it for the user better when he or she cancel the setup procedure, if he or she get the message or he\she want install the toolbar, so that the user will be not afraid that his or her IP goes to the third party?.
When you install a Pup or Pum program with toolbar, than is there a risk for Viruses or Trojans, but how is it with the Spam.?
I ask this, because, we are here on the forum for help together and I get usefull information where I say to myself, I didn't know that, I am glad that I did ask questions, but what I did say in another post, is my question;

is my thought right, is it better that when you get a program with Toolbar, that you cancel immediately the setup procedure.?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

is my thought right, is it better that when you get a program with Toolbar, that you cancel immediately the setup procedure.?

There is no right or wrong answer as it depends. If the primary software vendor that bundles the toolbar is trusted and reputable, then most likely you will clearly see your choices and options during the setup process. If you go through the process too quickly, there's always a change you can miss that so its best to go slowly and READ everything. If not, and you install a toolbar by mistake it usually can be removed easily via Add/Remove or Programs and Features.

#11 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:11 AM

I understand and thank you for your information.
I am always carefully with that, but for the security found I needed that I ask a question about this.
Oke, now I do know how the fork is in the steel, so I am now more comforted in this.

:bananas:

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

You're welcome.