Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wouldn't start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 listo

listo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

my aunt's computer would't start. i would just show a black screen. then i hit esc. and the power button a bunch of times then it ran a scan to fix startup or something and it would randomly crash like that after. i posted on the virus forum and after a couple scans and stuff it seemed to be working fine. here is the link to the original posting. today after leaving it on for about 12 hours i came home and there was a window that said it recovered from an unexpected shutdown and had to restart.

i was just wondering if you could run some scans to check everything out. the guy in the virus forum suggested that at the end.

thanks in advance, les

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:42 AM

Have you tried running a diagnostic test for the RAM module and hard drive first? If the notebook have available utilities, please run them. Try also this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Tekken

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

<<...when she gave it to me to fix she was getting a black screen and thats it...>>

Did the system POST...were the fans visibly spinning? Was there any sign that the system was trying to work and that the monitor/video might be the problem?

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Black screen on boot (no cursor) - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/black-screen-on-boot-no-cursor/892d155a-aadb-4e54-8e59-edf98b0ed020

Louis

#4 listo

listo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

thanks guys. i gave it back to her today so i no longer have it, but if it acts up again i will try these solutions.
i dont think it POSTed but im not sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users