Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IIS 7 physical location and host binding


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drprice79

drprice79

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

I am hosting a website on my local computer using IIS 7. I had set up the physical path to be something other than the "wwwroot" folder, and used the host binding to create a website name. I updated the hosts file on the local computer to include the website address and IP address as indicated. While I was developing the site it work properly by typing the web address into the address bar of both Firefox and Explorer. This worked for several months. I tried to go to the address recently (within the last week) and the page displays "The connection has timed out." No settings with the website were changed. No settings on the computer were changed, to my knowledge. When I moved the file back to the "wwwroot" folder the site will work as expected.

I'm using Windows 7, IIS 7, and MYSQL database.

I have reviewed by the hosts file and the binding properties on the IIS Manager and the binding name and IP address are the same, so there was no change.

I have assured that the site is running. I have stopped and restarted the site, testing before, during, and after.

The connection time-out is set to 120 seconds, but the same setting exists for the "wwwroot" folder where I do not receive the time-out error.

I have reviewed my list of updates. There are updates from Microsoft on 12/18. Based upon the log information I last accessed the site on 12/13 before these updates. I'm not sure if that may be causing the problem, or what effect it would have if I deleted the recent updates.

I'm looking for some direction as I'm not sure what to try next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 drprice79

drprice79
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

After much searching I did locate the solution to the problem. Evidently my computer auto-reassigned IP addresses. For some reason the new IP address did not display in the IIS Manager program. After trying to manually change the IP address to one not in the drop down list then changing it back from the drop-down list a proper IP address was displayed. Once the new IP address was selected it could be changed on the hosts file.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users