Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 12 GNOME not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

I previously used Linux Mint 10, and followed these instructions to install 12 on my machine.

After installing, GNOME wasn't working, no icons or menu. I was able to get MATE to work properly, but no luck with GNOME at all. I did have to install a driver (NVIDIA) which allowed the menu to show up. But after that, still no icons and nothing was clickable.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

What are the specs of the computer you're running?

And just to make sure...you downloaded the LiveCD (or DVD) and did a fresh install?

#3 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

What are the specs of the computer you're running?

And just to make sure...you downloaded the LiveCD (or DVD) and did a fresh install?

I burned the DVD and then I followed the directions in the link in my first post.

My computer is a Dell Latitude d620: 1.66 mhz, 2gb ram, video card nvidia nvs quadro 110m. Runs Windows 7 just fine.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

Did you do a fresh upgrade as mentioned in your link?
Did you first test the new Mint by running it live as opposed to installing to see if all your hardware was compatible? As recommended in your link.

I think that is what A Future Pilot was asking.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

You're computer specs should be fine.

As Buddy said...did the LiveCD (DVD in your case) work fine? (Menus and everything appear?)

Edited by A Future Pilot, 28 December 2011 - 03:03 PM.

#6 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

Alrighty..... I'm posting this information on both the current Mint 12 threads here on the board.

I had to take my computer to the shop that custom built it because I'm having some hardware issues I don't understand. They specialize in Linux, so I really enjoy talking with them there. They custom build Linux machines, and their distro of choice the past few years has been Mint. So I asked them about Mint 12 while I was there, and they said "DON'T USE IT"! Too many 'bugs' yet, mostly graphical issues. They are still using their Mint 11 'remastered' version on new builds, and they use Mint 11 on their computers at home as well. So..... I'm using Mint 11 (Gnome) on my backup machine right now - pretty cool - and customizable.

I'll post any additional information I hear from them.

#7 Uluru_2

Uluru_2

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

So we could put your problems down to Driver incompatiblity issues ?

You didn't mention if you are Dual Booting with Win 7, only that: "Runs Windows 7 just fine."

Seeing you've gone to a professional for help seems once you get back and post, this issue is solved ?

runsonLinux.jpg
Been a Windows User for many years. I'm having a Linux holiday. Be secure, enjoy your time online. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users