Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't power up after replacing DVD-ROM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raddley rayuri

raddley rayuri

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

My old DVD burner (IDE) died recently, so I replaced it with a new one (SATA). Plugged everything back in, hit the power button on the case, and nothing happens. Thinking it must be something wrong with the new drive, I unplugged it and tried to power up the computer. Same story. Aside from a LED inside the case, there's no sign of life. So, I looked at the switch. One wire was barely hanging on by a corroded thread, and when I wiggled it a little, it broke off. So I thought aha! It's the switch! I tried to bypass the switch by touching the 2 pins where it connects to the MB with a screwdriver, and nothing. Took out my audio and video cards and disconnected my floppy drive and tried it again. Same story. Disconnected and reconnected the PSU to the MB. Same story. Reseated my RAM. Same story. I think it's probably too much of a coincidence for the PSU to die at the exact same time I replaced the DVD-ROM, so what could it be? Is it just the switch, or do I have a broken switch and something else on top of it? Is there any other way to bypass the switch to test it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

Well...if you are not getting power anywhere...I would suspect the PSU or the lack of proper connections on the system. You've checked all connections to/from the PSU?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 raddley rayuri

raddley rayuri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

Well...if you are not getting power anywhere...I would suspect the PSU or the lack of proper connections on the system. You've checked all connections to/from the PSU?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Yes, I checked all the connections and unplugged/replugged them in.

PSU: Xion Supernova 600W
MB: Asus P5B Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Corsair 2GB RAM

Edited by raddley rayuri, 28 December 2011 - 09:41 AM.

#4 raddley rayuri

raddley rayuri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Yep. It's the PSU. I tested it with a multimeter per this tutorial, and there was only power on 1 pin.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-supply-test-multimeter.htm

Thanks, hamluis.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users