On the Contrary... Spybot will and shall catch many things
that Norton, Symantec, AVG, Avast, Kaspersky and Malwarebytes
Do not worry about the teatimer nor be concerned with it in this session.
www.safer-networking.org is the site to download SPYBOT.
I would do these steps first:
1) Backup your photos, *.doc, *.xls, *.jpg files and your Outlook
emails. Go into Outlook to see how to backup your Outlook emails. If you
are not a user of Outlook, ignore this step.
2) Boot PC in safe mode. Go into Control Panel and remove ANY
toolbars like coupon toolbars, ASK.com, Yahoo, Google, Target, NYTimes etc etc.
Remove ANY unwanted GAMES.
Remove ANYTHING from ASK.COM
3) Reboot PC, start windows normally.
4) DISABLE whatever ANTI-VIRUS you have running on your PC.
It will cause problems in the removal process.
5) Run your specific removal tool. Available at Kaspersky(gasp- hate them)
Norton-Symantec(better) never use AVG anti-virus (ever) free or paid for.
6) Reboot PC, start windows normally.
7) Run MALWAREBYTES and download the link from this search ONLY!
>>>> Google.com "bleepingcomputer malwarebytes" <<<<
DO NOT GO ANYWHERE ELSE to get it.
8) Download SPYBOT from safer-networking.org site. Run its updates including
the tea timer.
9) Run SPYBOT 3 times! It will take about 3 hours depending on the speed of
your Rig...(PC). ASK Spybot to fix and remove the problems.
10) Remove SPYBOT from your computer...(Control Panel, add/remove programs)
Spybot, despite its bad press, is a fine fine tool to remove Malware, Trojans,
and extra things that other programs tend to MISS.
I USE IT IN MY BUSINESS of repairing and tuning up computers. Amongst other tools
11) RE ENABLE your ANTI-VIRUS program. Norton, Symantec, McAfee, Avast
12) Do not use AVG or Kaspersky anti-virus programs if you wish to have
a smooth running PC. Do not use experimental or free anti-virus programs
ever. Industry recognized anti-virus programs from known companies
are the best way to protect your PC. However, they may not stop all instances
of Trojan and Virus infestation. A good regular PC tune-up from a reputable
computer technician (not a gamer or a back-yard techie) in business with a
city-business-license is a BEST PRACTICE.
13) Update your Security Patches with www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
14) In Control Panel, remove old versions of JAVA
15) In Control Panel, remove old versions of ADOBE tools
17) Go to www.JAVA.com and add the latest version of JAVA
18) Go to ADOBE.com and download the lastest versions of Flash, Reader,
20) Never have any extra toolbars unless its from Norton/Symantec/McAfee
21) Regularly clear cookies
Let me know how you make out