Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Compatible Video card/driver

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tb0ne2u

tb0ne2u

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

I have a Dell Optiplex G520 and I, unfortunately, am running Windows 7 on it. Since installing Windows 7 I have had problems with my video card. Certain websites will not recognize my video card or say it's outdated. However, I had no problems whatsoever while I was running Windows XP. What can I do about this? Is there a driver I can install to fix it, or does anyone know of a good graphics card I can buy that will be compatible with both my computer and Windows 7? Thanks for your help with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

If you go into the device manager right click on computer and choose device manager on the left what video card does Windows 7 say is installed in your computer.

My guess is either the built-in Intel or a ATX x300 / x600. It may also show VGA.

You most likely need to get a video card that is supported by Windows 7. Which of the GX520 series is it?

[attachment=115256:gx520.JPG]
If it is the smallest one on the right no card is possible. The center slimline needs a low profile card and the left hand one can take a regular card.

From the Intel Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%2282945g%22

According to this the built-in video has a driver available for it. If you have the ATI most likely no driver. In that case you can remove the video card and download the Intel driver or buy a new Win7 card.

Edited by rotor123, 27 December 2011 - 05:26 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 tb0ne2u

tb0ne2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I have the Intel Chipset 945 Video card and I believe it's the middle computer that I have. So then I would need the low-profile card that is compatible with Windows 7. Any suggests of ones to buy? I'm at a loss when it comes to video cards. Or would an upgrade to a Windows 7 version that supports retroing programs back to XP work also to fix my problem?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

Intel has a video driver for that chipset and Windows 7 as I linked above.
You could pull out any video card and try the internal (Built-in) video first using that driver.
Another way to tell is if your Optical drive runs up and down when open the drive you have the middle one. If the drawer runs side to side then you have the left hand one and can use a regular size card.
If you feel you need a video card then yes you need a lowprofile with Win7 drivers.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 tb0ne2u

tb0ne2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

I have already tried installing the Intel accelerator and it made no change. And I think I was wrong, I think I have the little one on the right, I will try removing the video card and see what that does. Thanks for your help.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

If you have the little one on the right with the gray sides then there is no video card not is there a way to add one.
did you try the right video driver? 32 bit driver for 32 bit windows or 64 bit for 64 bit windows?

The only options for any type of expansion on the smallest one is via USB.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if it is the smallest one and the Intel driver installed that is teh best you can do.

Just go to the device manager. To do so "Right Click" on Computer, choose properties, look on the left side for device manager. Open Device manager and then go to the video section and open it. right click on the video and then the drivers tab. What does it show for driver supplier, Intel, Microsoft etc. What version?

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 tb0ne2u

tb0ne2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

It is the Intel 82945 G Chipset, so looks like I'm outta luck. Guess I will look into the USB cards then. Thanks for the help.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

Did you try the Intel Windows 7 driver I linked to?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%2282945g%22

Edited by rotor123, 31 December 2011 - 10:00 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users