Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My very first build | Need help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 suЯge

suЯge

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

I am planning on building my first computer, and I have no idea if I chose good hardware or not. I am completely new to this, so bear with me, please.
I basically want a desktop that will edit and render films with speed and no problems, running multiple scripts, programming, and surfing the web.
At first, I was thinking: "I need 64GB RAM, Amazing Graphics, 2 6-core proccessors" just to really show it off. I then realized I just want performance and I will be fine.

What I have projected to be my build: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=22789207

MOTHERBOARD

PROCESSOR

MEMORY

CASE

POWER SUPPLY

DVD RW DRIVE

HARD DRIVE

VIDEO CARD (x2)

CPU COOLER

Please give my feedback on what I should change to make it more suiting for my needs.
NOTE: I am keeping the case no matter what. I just bought it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

I assume money is no object?

CPU/Motherboard: Both are good, but you can save money going with an i7 2500. The difference between the "K" versions of the Intel CPU's is the overclocking. You could also go for AMD.

GPU: If you are willing to wait until January 9th, the Radeon 7970 will be hitting retailers then. It isn't as fast as a dual 6970, but it is designed to be much more efficient on a per card basis and has lower energy consumption. For anything using a single graphics card or is unable to scale well with Crossfire, the 7970 will blow the 6970 away.

CPU Cooler: Good, but remember that HDT coolers have a different thermal compound application method than the standard "dot in the middle."

SSD: Personally, I prefer Intel SSD's like the Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III but that should still be good. I would also give the SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III a good look.

3939.png

#3 suЯge

suЯge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

I assume money is no object?

CPU/Motherboard: Both are good, but you can save money going with an i7 2500. The difference between the "K" versions of the Intel CPU's is the overclocking. You could also go for AMD.

GPU: If you are willing to wait until January 9th, the Radeon 7970 will be hitting retailers then. It isn't as fast as a dual 6970, but it is designed to be much more efficient on a per card basis and has lower energy consumption. For anything using a single graphics card or is unable to scale well with Crossfire, the 7970 will blow the 6970 away.

CPU Cooler: Good, but remember that HDT coolers have a different thermal compound application method than the standard "dot in the middle."

SSD: Personally, I prefer Intel SSD's like the Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III but that should still be good. I would also give the SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III a good look.

I would LOVE to get it cheaper. If you have any suggestions to do the same at a lower cost, I would greatly appreciate it. The only things that really need to be done: HD Video editing and rendering, running scripts/programming, and the usual other things (surfing the web, photo editing, chatting, etc.) I dont plan to do gaming, I just want it to run fast & smooth.

The only rule: I need to keep the case.

I already have the OS, so I didn't bother adding it in.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

You really don't need a Crossfire configuration for smooth video editing and rendering. I haven't heard of many professional products harnessing the power of a multi-GPU system. With the CPU and motherboard, things get a bit more complicated. On a per thread basis, the i7 2500 and 2600 will win with performance, but, if running parallel applications that can harness all cores thrown at it is your thing, the AMD FX CPU's can hold their own. Rendering is something the FX CPU's can do well, but until the SMT patch for Windows 7, or Windows 8 as a whole, is released, the best the high-end FX CPU's can do is hold their own against the i7's. With AMD-based motherboards, you tend to keep them around for a while considering AMD maintains backwards compatibility. In short, for best performance right now, Intel's expensive LGA 2011 platform and the i7-3960X would be great. For best value right now, the i7 2500K. For the best potential later on, the AMD FX-8150 (Or, if that is a bit price-y, the FX-8120). For the best mid-range setup that blends in value and potential, the FX-6100.

3939.png

#5 suЯge

suЯge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

You really don't need a Crossfire configuration for smooth video editing and rendering. I haven't heard of many professional products harnessing the power of a multi-GPU system. With the CPU and motherboard, things get a bit more complicated. On a per thread basis, the i7 2500 and 2600 will win with performance, but, if running parallel applications that can harness all cores thrown at it is your thing, the AMD FX CPU's can hold their own. Rendering is something the FX CPU's can do well, but until the SMT patch for Windows 7, or Windows 8 as a whole, is released, the best the high-end FX CPU's can do is hold their own against the i7's. With AMD-based motherboards, you tend to keep them around for a while considering AMD maintains backwards compatibility. In short, for best performance right now, Intel's expensive LGA 2011 platform and the i7-3960X would be great. For best value right now, the i7 2500K. For the best potential later on, the AMD FX-8150 (Or, if that is a bit price-y, the FX-8120). For the best mid-range setup that blends in value and potential, the FX-6100.

I am now starting to understand this more and more, thank you for such insightful feedback.
I realized I do NOT want to spend too much on this build, as it is my first. I generated a new wishlist, and I was mainly wondering if the GPU is going to cut it for my needs: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15917611

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

If your rendering programs utilize the GPU, you may want to get something out of the Radeon 6900 line, especially a 2GB model. Also, if your rendering programs run natively at 64-bit and you are using a 64-bit operating system, you may want to consider getting another 4GB x 2 RAM kit. The Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 RAM kit has a good price and the heatsinks don't stick up too much which can be an issue for some CPU coolers.

3939.png

#7 suЯge

suЯge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

If your rendering programs utilize the GPU, you may want to get something out of the Radeon 6900 line, especially a 2GB model. Also, if your rendering programs run natively at 64-bit and you are using a 64-bit operating system, you may want to consider getting another 4GB x 2 RAM kit. The Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 RAM kit has a good price and the heatsinks don't stick up too much which can be an issue for some CPU coolers.

I am pretty sure at least one of them does. Would something like the XFX Double D HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity be a good GPU for such occasions?

I switched the RAM out, thank you for pointing that out to me.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

It should, it is basically a Radeon 6970 with a different firmware.

3939.png

#9 suЯge

suЯge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

It should, it is basically a Radeon 6970 with a different firmware.

Alright. My final question(s):

Wishlist: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15917611

Will this actually work? As in: function when I put it together?
Is the power supply enough to support all of this?
Am I getting a good deal for all of this?
Last, but not least: How long will this machine survive for? (if I put off overclocking for a few months)

I want to thank you so much for helping me in all of this.

#10 pJ`

pJ`

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

I'll let them continue answering any questions but I'd recommend watching these 3 videos since this is going to be your first build. I'd also recommend buying an Anti Static Wristband.

Videos:

Video #1

Video #2

Video #3

They seriously helped me a lot. Good luck with your build. :thumbup2:

#11 suЯge

suЯge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

I'll let them continue answering any questions but I'd recommend watching these 3 videos since this is going to be your first build. I'd also recommend buying an Anti Static Wristband.

Videos:

Video #1

Video #2

Video #3

They seriously helped me a lot. Good luck with your build. :thumbup2:

Thank you for the videos, I will be sure to check them out. also: I think i might have one of those wristbands.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

I'll go one step further since encoding HD video benefits by faster CPU.

There are encoding programs that can be accelerated using Cuda with Nvidia based video cards, Others can be boosted using the Built-in video on some Intel chipsets, and Others less commonly ATI video. Which solution is best for you depends on what the software supports. One thing that also helps is multiple drives. An example would be source on D: and rendered output on E: and of course for general speedy startup and application loading a SSD boot drive.

Cheers

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#13 suЯge

suЯge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

I'll go one step further since encoding HD video benefits by faster CPU.

There are encoding programs that can be accelerated using Cuda with Nvidia based video cards, Others can be boosted using the Built-in video on some Intel chipsets, and Others less commonly ATI video. Which solution is best for you depends on what the software supports. One thing that also helps is multiple drives. An example would be source on D: and rendered output on E: and of course for general speedy startup and application loading a SSD boot drive.

Cheers

I do have multiple drives, and are going to do the SSD boot. Thank you for reccomending it.

On the other hand, I think I will be sticking with my graphics card. I believe its good enough for my needs at the price it is.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

With an SSD be sure to have AHCI turned on in the bios. I think you will like the speed. Feel free topost back how it works for you.

Cheers

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users