Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed New RAM.. Cpu usage problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HELPHope

HELPHope

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hello. So just recently I installed a new ram for my computer. My computer is Compaq Presario v2000. The ram that came with it was 512 mb ram. When I had 512 mb ram I was not having any cpu usage problems. For example... I could Convert videos, and watch videos without it having to jump up to 100%cpu usage...

But I started to get tired of my computer being so slow.. seeing that 512 mb ram is garbage in 2011. So I bought 2 gb ram.. (DDR PC2700).. And now I have a problem that is really annoying. After installing this ram, when I watch videos other then youtube then the cpu is goes up to 100%cpu usage.. I have tried other browsers, and still receive the same problem. Also when I convert videos the cpu usage goes up to 100%cpu usage. I really have no idea why this is happening.

I know that my ram is compatible with my computer.

Also this is really annoying because my computer is from 2006, and when it goes up to 100%cpu usage my computer goes insane. Meaning it goes real loud.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

So I bought 2 gb ram.. (DDR PC2700)

did you buy 2x1 gig or 1x2gig , if you bought one 2 gig stick this may be the problem ,i had one of these v2000 before and im almost sure its capacity is 2 gig of ram ,and it only like 2x1 gig ,one in each slot

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 HELPHope

HELPHope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

I Bought 2 1 gigs

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:41 AM

try using one at a time and see how it acts

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:40 AM

Also:

I could Convert videos without it having to jump up to 100%cpu usage...

But I started to get tired of my computer being so slow..

Is it converting in less time? Doing something that could benefit from using all CPU cycles, like video converting, will be slower when CPU utilization is less than 100% (wasted cycles). If having more RAM has allowed video processing to handle more data and utilize 100% of the CPU instead of say 60%, then it will be done quicker and that's what you want! To prove this for sure, you'd need to test by timing a conversion with 512MB, deleting the result, re-fitting the 2GB and timing the same conversion.

when it goes up to 100%cpu usage my computer goes real loud.

As per above, if the CPU runs 100% the cooling fan will ramp up to full speed. But that could be the price that has to be paid for getting a CPU intensive task done faster. Remember laptops run cooler by running slower (eg speedstep) so pretty much: slow computer = quieter, fast computer = louder. Getting your older, slower computer to perform faster will inevitably create more heat and the fan will be louder.

Edited by Platypus, 29 December 2011 - 06:41 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users