Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop Access

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rutherford1

rutherford1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hi. I don't know if this is really "networking" but the problem is that my mother got a computer a year ago and it's very frustrating (and fruitless) trying to fix things for her because she has absolutely no idea how anything works. For example, her latest problem is that she has "bugs" and she's unable to open a browser ("Google") or install any programs. There's nothing wrong with her computer, she's just getting a lot of Windows alerts. She recently paid $150 to some shyster to re-install Windows.

I live 5000 miles away so can't just pop in and look at the computer. So I'd like to set up direct access to her computer so I can change some of these Windows message settings, install a virus scanner that won't pop up loads of messages and quickly solve various non-existent "problems" that she thinks she has. But I don't want her to have access to my computer.

At work, the IT guy sometimes remotely accesses the computers. He's able to move the cursor and change stuff. This is the sort of thing I'm looking to do.

What are the options? I read that this is possible without additional software with premium versions of Windows, but I only have the home version (and I assume she does as well). I found something called LogMeIn. Would that work? I also have VPN. Would that do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

LogMeIn would work, but you have to have ports on the router for that to work.

#3 rutherford1

rutherford1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

Thanks. I see that Logmein has a pay version. Would the free version do what I want?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

Yes the free version would be all you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users