Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volmgr ID 46

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iMark

iMark

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

My System Info:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit in RAID
Malwarebytes
Superantispyware
BitDefender
Advanced System Care running in the background (though the problem I need help with
happens even when I turn of Advanced System Care or even eliminate it from start up and disable it in services.

I have been getting large pixelized horizontally stretched blocks which come and go on my screen just prior to a blue screen (though sometimes the blue screen is without any prelude at all), before this I was having a ton of issues with sound both playing videos and video games. I changed a value on my BIOS and the sound issues went away, but I wasn't sure if that information might be relevant to helping me.

This is the common event log:

Log Name: System
Source: volmgr
Date: 12/27/2011 10:09:18 AM
Event ID: 46
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: TBB-PC
Description:
Crash dump initialization failed!
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="volmgr" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">46</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-12-27T15:09:18.250000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>255929</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>TBB-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\HarddiskVolume5</Data>
<Binary>0000000001000000000000002E0004C001100000010000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

I've Googled this and I have been told that if I am running Advanced System Care 5 (which I am) I should turn off "write an event to system log". So I attempted to do this, only to find that it was already disabled. So I tried to enable it, only every time I check the box and hit apply (whether or not I assign a system dump value) when I return to the start up and recovery options, it is unchecked again. I cannot get it to stay checked. I have played with every potential combination of checked and unchecked values on this screen and - no juice! I am getting seriously irritated at this point and would really value some help.

If I need to offer any more info I will gladly do so. Thank you for you help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hi iMark -
Can you go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, then try to remove any IObit programs installed there.
This will hopefully kill Advanced System Care 5 and remove most of the IObit program.
Then go to http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ and find the link to uninstalling IObit programs.
This is needed as just unstalling IObit still leaves some of the program behind.
Now make sure that you have only one decent Antivirus (even free MSE or similar) installed.

Thank You -
EDIT -
http://www.t-tools.nl/CCount/click.php?id=35
This should be the direct link to running IObit cleaner, but only after you remove from Programs and Features -

Edited by noknojon, 27 December 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#3 iMark

iMark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

I have deleted all of Iobit software that I could. I used the Programs and Features method first followed by the EDIT -
http://www.t-tools.nl/CCount/click.php?id=35 link you sent me. As I said in a message to you (noknojon) that program did not get much of the Iobit program because it was looking for the wrong version (ver. 3 & I have versions 4&5). I went to the regediter and searched for 'Iobit' which gave me A LOT to delete, however, I am still getting the erros and reboots, my event log is still giving me the same error and I still cannot change the 'write event to log' check box (well I can but it does not stay checked once I navigate way from the screen). Also, there are a few Iobit entries I could not delete from the registry - it just would not let me. Attached is a copy of one of the reg entries I am referring to. Anyone who can help me please do, this is maddening!

Edited by iMark, 07 January 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt and copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#5 iMark

iMark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

I tried what you said, but it was a no go. It was looking for a dump that I do not have which is (I believe) part of my problem, I have NO minidump info. If you read the first post, I described how on another forum and several Google searches suggested turning on or off 'write an event to system log'. Well I cannot do that. If I put a check in the box, it recognizes it and I can set the size and location of the dump, but as soon as I navigate away from the "Setup & Recovery' box by hitting Apply or Okay, when I go back, the check mark is gone and the size/location fields are empty again. I have attempted to Google what Reg entry allows me to manually change this value, but I have come up with nothing.

I am nearing the end of my options as I can see it. I do have two bluescreen photos which may help you, but I am just reaching at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: Since all of this I am now running on my IGC instead of my PCI-Express video card because it broke. I do not know if this is just a coincidence or if the two events are related.

Attached Files

• Attached File  BS1.jpg   403KB   3 downloads

Edited by iMark, 12 January 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

I would, most certainly, uninstall Advanced System Care (if not already done), using Revo Uninstaller.

Here is how to use Revo Uninstaller:

1) First we download it from here: Revo Uninstaller Free Version. You can skip this Step if you already have it installed. However, you may need to update it. If you have it installed already, and you need to update it, go ahead and open it up and click the AutoUpdate Icon next to Help. The use of this program makes registry changes based upon what you select for removal from the Registry. Before running Revo Uninstaller please run ERUNT before proceeding to back up your registry in case you make a mistake.

2) Select the Program to remove from the list of programs and click the Uninstall button:

Posted Image

3) After selecting the program you want to remove, and confirming you want to uninstall the program, then you will want to select the Advanced Option:

Posted Image

4) Click Next. This will start the uninstaller for the application you picked. When the uninstaller is done, and it proves to be successful, and a reboot is required, then select NO and continue the below steps.

5) Follow the prompts during the uninstallation of the application. Once it closes you will be at this window:

Posted Image

6) Click Next again. Once the window is done scanning for files and other things that did not get removed, you will be presented with this window:

Posted Image

You will want to select only the bolded items, then click on Delete. If any entries-usually the last thing listed and not in bold-have a + sign click on the + until you see more bolded items. Once done, click Next.

If it asks you to delete other files, then do so, but pay attention to the warnings.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#7 iMark

iMark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

I followed Noknojon's advice for uninstalling Iobit, which was to run the windows based uninstaller first then the Revo uninstaller. However, as I told him, the Revo Uninstaller did not actually uninstall it because it only targets version 3 and I had previously installed versions 4 & 5. When it asked me to "browse" for the target installation it would not let me navigate out of Program Files and the Iobit files were int Program Files(x86) so it was a wash.

So then I meticulously went through the registry files for the word "advanced" and "Iobit" and deleted all references to Advanced System Care except for a large series of them which would not delete. I do not know how to delete these entries, but they are most certainly still there.

The link you provided is not responding so I will look for the most current version of the Revo Uninstaller and run it. I just discovered that the link I used through CNET was dated 2009 so I may have installed an older version. I may wind up having to reinstall Advanced system care first so it will recognize that there is a program to uninstall. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for your help.

Edited by iMark, 12 January 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

All you have to do...is read the instructions for configuring in Revo...and it will remove anything that it detects. It does not go by what is reflected in Add/Remove Programs, it detects program files/registry settings.

My error on the link, it's for internal Staff use only and it was unnecessary. I posted the info reflected.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#9 iMark

iMark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

First off, let me say thank you to you both for working this hard to help me. Just knowing someone else's brain is on this is reassuring.

Okay, I reinstalled Advanced System Care from Iobit. Then I ran the Windows Uninstaller, then I ran Revo Uninstaller. This time it saw the program and uninstalled it, but it only found one of over a dozen registry entries. So I still had to manually go through and rid myself of those.

This one said it could not be deleted, but when I opened it again - the reference to Iobit was gone. This entry was:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager....
PendingFileRenameOperations - (this showed Iobit Advanced system care in the list)

-------------------------

Also, there are a TON of these - NONE of which can I delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_1_for_KB2478662~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0...
\\?\C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 4\SecurityHoles_Download\temp\windows6.1-kb2478662-x64.cab_temp\426954BD-EEE3-4969-833D-CA35177C3C10\

After all of this I STILL cannot permanently check the 'write an event to system log' option.

My system does not seem to shut down on me now, unless I start my WoW game, which will run for anytime between 5min. - 2hrs. and then it just reboots with no warning. Once this happens I usually cannot load windows until I unplug the computer and discharge the capacitors, then it will usually reboot into windows. I'm not sure what that is about either.

Last night, I reconfigured my Bios for using the Internal Graphics Chip, and it will run the game, but at some point it will reboot. Whenever I check the events log following a reboot I always get the Volmgr ID46 error which started this whole issue to begin with. This is driving me crazy!

Is it possible that because Windows 7 comes with Directx11 and now that I am using my Integrated Graphics Chip to run the game, WoW is running in Directx9 - could this cause the conflict? I thought that newr versions of Directx were compatible with older ones, but I'm reaching for anything I can find at this point.

Edited by iMark, 12 January 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

IMO...the basic problem with ASC...is that...users assume that everything it does...is necessary and beneficial.

Yet users haven't the slightest clue as to what it is doing to system files and the registry...in their minds, "optimizing" seems to categorically translate as "fixing"...when, in reality, there may be nothing that needs to be "fixed".

Such programs adjust registry entry entries and files...according to some preconceived template which someone created...who knows when? Users do not know it that template was designed for their system...or when. Is the template for Windows 7 Home Premium...the same as the one for Windows 7 Ultimae? Do those templates take into consideration that there have been SPs and critical updates issued since the presumed template was created?

I could go on, but I think you see my drift.

Windows will not function correctly when key system files are either missing or damaged. I think you see how system files can become missing when certain programs are used to "optimize" and those same programs can certainly result in damaged system files whenever they do whatever they do.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#11 iMark

iMark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

I began using Advances System Care due to a referral of a friend who builds/re-builds computers - which I know does NOT mean he was familiar with "How" they function. I appreciate the info on Registry entries. I WAS under the impression that a cluttered registry could (most likely would) slow down boot time and general functioning. However, it has always given me pause to run a reg cleaner for some of the very reasons you mentioned. I have always used CCleaner (which I understand now to be a bit antiquated) but I used the reg - backup tool prior to running the reg cleaner. I believe that I will stop that altogether now, because the risk seems greater than the benefits.

I used to wipe my drive and start off each year with a fresh install. I use my computer heavily for everything from emails, article writing, creating websites, rendering video & playing video games...it doesn't get much down time. Do you believe that it would be wise to take up that habit again? If I'm not going to clean my registry, perhaps creating a fresh one each year might help me maintain what I was aiming at via reg cleaners.

In the end, concerning my problem, are you saying that the remaining registry entries(from Iobit Advanced System Care) are:

A) Of no real concern.

or

B)Probably the problem, but I can do nothing about it.

Just to save time and be clear - by "problem" I mean the volmgr ID 46 error AND the 'write an event to the system log' problem AND the random reboot problem.

Finally, do you believe that the Directx issue represents a genuine conflict or potential problem in system stability?

Not to sound like a broken record, but I REALLY appreciate your time and replies! Thank you!

Edited by iMark, 13 January 2012 - 12:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users