Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Computer But Very Slow At Times

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NealJacko

NealJacko

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:38 PM

Hey everyone, my name is Neal and this is my first post. There is something very wrong with my computer. I am using windows XP and i have a cable modem. here's the thing, my computer can work fine for a while then, in a matter of seconds, it goes into a very slow mode.. some things that occur are that it takes forever to open anything up, such as mozilla firefox or outlook express or AIM.. also, when the programs finally do open up, it takes a while to scroll up and down or load webpages.. I am not computer illiterate, but im also not a genius.. i have tried programs like Hijackthis, ad-aware, cwshredder and i have the norton antivirus program.. and its not like it just happened recently, its been like this since last summer, slowly getting worse.. please help me, i have no clue how to fix it or what else i should post here.. thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:43 PM

Hi Neal!!

Your problem could be related to the hardware. If this happens after a cold-boot, meaning the computer was off for 6+ hrs (I really dont know how long it is to be considered a cold boot) and then you turned it on, then your components could be overheating. If this happens always a few seconds after you boot your computer, like a quick shut down and restart, then it will be most likely software related. Where is your computer located? Is it in a cabinet or on top of a desk or like object? Also, could you kindly post your computer's specifications just in case the need arises.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 NealJacko

NealJacko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:53 PM

hey legoman, thanks for responding...

im not sure if this is a bad thing or not, but i usually never shutdown my computer.. the only time that i do is when it gets really slow, then ill turn it off, turn it back on and it will work fine for a while..

the tower is on top of my desk and isnt confined on either side, only the back of it is near the back of the computer desk..

as for my specifications, im not exactly sure if this is what u want but here goes..

Hewlett Packard pavilion a720n
Microsoft XP 2002 home edition
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
2.20 Ghz, 448 mb of ram
180 GB of space

if theres anything else u need, ur probably gonna have to tell me where to find the info because thats all i kno how to get..

thank you

#4 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:52 AM

When did you last defrag and run scandisk? A fragmented hd will give that symptom. Also look at your startup programs and kill any that are not necessary. Not a big research job, just pick the obvious like messengers, toolbars, and programs you rarely use. Also, with that big a drive, you can allocate more space to the page file and virtual memory. Right click computer>properties >click performance>advanced and look for the settings. 2 times your ram is a good starting point. If you change it windows will play chicken little, but not to worry. If you are uncomfortable doing it, backup the registry first. Hope all goes well!
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:29 AM

Disk cleanup would not hurt.. Start>Program Files>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup

Install and run automaticly cCleaner

Run either of these two programs and find out everything you need to know about your computer Everest Home orBelarc Diagnostic Tool. Having both won't hurt your system.

Norton is a heavy load on your system resources. You may want to consider one of the freeware AV programs.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:46 AM

If ur running a lot of memory intensive programs, you could consider adding more RAM.
And as gunner pointed out, run a defrag after cleaning up, applications take a long time to respond if the associated files are cluttered. Here are some useful links
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/HDDMaint.htm#Scope

#7 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

Also from what you just explained:

im not sure if this is a bad thing or not, but i usually never shutdown my computer.. the only time that i do is when it gets really slow, then ill turn it off, turn it back on and it will work fine for a while..

In your case I would go ahead and say yes. Try to shut it down for A few hours, start it up, and see if it lasts any longer. If you're computer's cooling system cannot handle it being on for such A long period of time, then you can be putting A massive burden on your computer, in which will develope critical problems in the future.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:40 AM

If you suspeact heat to be a factor you should crack the case and clean the inside of your computer. Cleaning your computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 NealJacko

NealJacko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:38 PM

alright thanks guys... heres what ive done so far..

i ran ad-aware and it found 113 objects so i quarantined then removed them..
i ran spybot search and destroy, found a bunch of items, got rid of them and also used the immunize option..
i updated my virus definitions and ran a system scan..

so far, everything is working fine, it hasnt slowed down like it has before which is a good thing... but last nite, i had a norton antivirus message pop up saying it found a HACKTOOL.ROOTKIT file and couldnt delete it.. the filename listed was fmuapiki.exe.. i never saw this message before and it pops up from time to time, but my computer seems to be running fine..

any other suggestions ??

#10 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:06 PM

Now is when you might want to pay A visit to this page: Start Here.

After following the instructions there (In which you've aparently done quite A few of them) then go ahead and post an HJT log (this is also the final step of that page).

The HJT volenteer team will take A look at it as soon as possible and will give you Detailed instructions on how to remove that of which you're software cannot. :thumbsup:

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

Run Norton in Safe Mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Also run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Edited by tg1911, 07 February 2006 - 05:12 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users