Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless AP Signal Strength Degrading

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ropnjessi

ropnjessi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

I currently have an Engenius ENH200 set up as an access point with an external omni-directional antenna hooked up. I have (2) clients that access this AP, and they use the Engenius 2611P and the ENH200 set up as client bridge modes. They always performed well, the signal strengths were good and data rate was also good. Now for some reason the signal strengths and data rates have just dropped significantly (-30dBm). The only thing that has changed is the weather, we had some rain and it is colder now. Maybe it is a coincidence but this is when things started to change, I have changed some settings and rebooted the AP/CB's and routers but nothing helps....any ideas??

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

The only thing that has changed is the weather? Check your physical connections, especially at the common point. moisture can seriously affect signal level.
Has another wifi network been established near yours, that also could interfere.
Could it be emi from a new mains cable run parallel with your cat5?

#3 ropnjessi

ropnjessi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

The only thing that has changed is the weather? Check your physical connections, especially at the common point. moisture can seriously affect signal level.
Has another wifi network been established near yours, that also could interfere.
Could it be emi from a new mains cable run parallel with your cat5?

Hey thanks for the comment, I kind of gave up on this thread. Yes I have been meaning to at least check the exterior connections on the omni-antenna. As far as emi, everything is the same as when the network transmitted at it best. This is the first outdoor network I have setup and am not sure if I am missing something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users