Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking Processor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:44 PM

Ok, Let me start off by saying I try to help all i can around these boards with the software department, that is a breeze for me. Hardware im still rusty at, but im studying about it in an A+ study guide. What I want to do is overclock my Processor. Im running an Intel Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, I have the standard fan installed, and i dust out my computer every month with a can of compressed air very carefully. You know the usual, Putting something in the fan just enough to block it from spinning as to not over rotate it and stuff. Now my questions are,

How would I go about overclocking my Processor?
Do I have enough protection from over heating?
If I do this, how long can I leave it overclocked?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:05 PM

u should upgrade ur stock cpu fan if u want to overclock, to cpu coolers to prevent overheating to happen. u can overclock but just check the temperature of ur cpu by using certain software. I were u I dont want to risk :thumbsup:

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:08 PM

Thanks, i was thinking the same thing. But i wanted advice, as i said, im rusty on hardware.

#4 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

First of all, did you build this computer yourself? If it is an OEM (Dell, HP, Compaq, whatever) they lock that part of the BIOS and you can't change anything. Now, for getting to overclocking I'll direct you to a very nice guide http://forums.livingwithstyle.com/t113472-...pu-and-ram.html You should be able to get a nice boost with the stock heatsink, though you may want to look into an aftermarket one and push it even further. Also, overclocking tends to put a heavier load on your PSU so you should definitely do as much stability testing as you can.

Edited by welco, 07 February 2006 - 10:29 PM.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:51 PM

Be sure to monitor your temperatures while doing this (it's the heat that'll fry your CPU). Here's a free utility for it: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

If you just kick it up a notch you can run it a lot longer than if you kick it all the way up to it's max (heat's the killer there also).

Here's my favorite overclocking site - it taught me a lot! http://www.overclockers.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:43 PM

Thanks guys, im sorry i havent been very attentitive to this post.. I've been having trouble with windows vista, went back to xp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users