Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I.E. 9

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:59 AM

HI,I saw some where that there was I.E.9,is this a good or bad thing and will it work with WINXP,THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:42 AM

Hi -
Yes there is an I.E.9 but only if you have Vista SP2 or better. Please see the statement released below.
The IE9 Platform Preview can be downloaded from Microsoft's site. It requires Windows 7, Vista SP2, Windows Server 2008 or Windows 2008 R2
This is due to Direct X and other problems regarding 2D screen veiwing etc.-
Basically not on your XP SP3 now -

Thank You -

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:52 AM

Like noknojon said, IE 9 has been released but Microsoft is not making it available to users of Windows XP. The latest version of IE for Windows XP is IE8, which you can download from Windows Update or from here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=43 IE8 will continue to be supported and updated by Microsoft until 2014.

It's highly recommended that you install the latest version of Internet Explorer available for your version of Windows and to keep it updated with Windows Update. This will help to protect your computer even if you regularly use a different web browser for surfing the web.

Edited by Andrew, 27 December 2011 - 02:52 AM.

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

Well i finaly got I.E.9 downloaded after 2 tries,the first time it shut off power to the house.
Then it took awhile to rebooted,now i hope this is one MS better ideas,thanks

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Hi again -
Please do not use a browser greater than I.E.8 on your XP.
It will never work correctly, and only give you headaches -
It requires Windows 7, Vista SP2, Windows Server 2008 or Windows 2008 R2

Thank You -
EDIT - You also need at least DirectX 10 and that will also NOT install on your XP

Edited by noknojon, 27 December 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

HI,Can i expect any unknowns from I.E.8 or should it run very well as some MS stuff is not the best out of the box
at least it gave me choice as to what i can add or delete from their program,THANKS

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

i seen a lot of winxp computer work really slow with ie8 installed ,and go back to normal after removing ie8 and going back to ie7 ,good luck

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

i seen a lot of winxp computer work really slow with ie8 installed ,and go back to normal after removing ie8 and going back to ie7

With XP SP3 and all recent updates installed, I now have found I.E.8 has settled down and is more suitable.
There has been M/soft updates for I.E.8, in the regular updates, and this seems to have fixed the original 'slow' problems.

Yes, I did remove I.E.8, and went back to I.E.7 for a few months, but there seems to be no problems after all updates are installed.
I think the solution is just in keeping up with M/soft updates while XP is still supported -

Now I have I.E.8 on the XP and I.E.9 on the Win 7, and have none of the early problems experienced -

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

thanks i will make sure sp3 and all updates are done before installing ie8 from now on

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#10 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

HI, That was one of the reasons i had not installed I.E9 right away as there was some talk about slowing down a PC,thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users