Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

acer aspire m3100

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 twobob10

twobob10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:25 AM

Hi Just new to the forum,don't know if this is the right place to post my problem but i have a problem with my 2nd pc, it is an acer aspire M3100,and when i switch it on nothing happens,the blue light comes on and the burner flashes,no light to show it is loading up,nothing else happens nothing on the screen (blank) can hear fans going inside, tried putting in o/s (Vista home premium)disc still nothing happens.i cannot get into my pc, nothing will boot up.
running 500gb h/d,4 gb memory windows vista home premium.
any information would be greatly appreciated and many thanks.
Cheers twobob 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:45 AM

Hello Twobob10,

I have experienced similar occurances. At power on, the power supply and CPU fans work (almost louder than usual) but there are no startup bios "beeps," no video display, and of course, you can't access the bios setup.

• First, disconnect everything from the tower except the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Unplug the power cord and press the power button for 15 seconds. Reconnect the cord and try to start the computer.
  • If that doesn't work, I would try the following but only if you feel comfortable opening the tower and tinkering and only if the computer is not under warranty.
  • Unplug the A/C cord from the tower then press and hold the power button for several seconds as above.
  • Remove the side cover to the tower. Beware of static electricity when working inside the case.
  • First, use your senses. Is there a faint smell of burning plastic (not good)? Take a flashlight and inspect each capacitor (small vertical cylinders) for obvious damage (swelling, leaking). Carefully unplug the 20/24 pin power supply connector from the motherboard and inspect each side for signs of a "short" (melted and darkened plastic).
  • Make sure all fans are operating and remove dust from case and power supply vents, fans, and CPU heat sink.
  • Ensure that CPU is well seated and that there is adequate thermal paste and good contact between the heat sink and CPU. Clean and replace paste if dried out.
  • Temporarily remove any extra PCI cards such as modems or sound cards. More than once I've seen a "bad modem" prevent the computer from booting.
  • Remove and reseat the video card and memory.
  • Reassemble and test the computer by plugging in and powering on.
  • If the above steps don't work then unplug the A/C cord again from the tower then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Locate the three pin CMOS Jumper on the motherboard (consult your computer documentation) usually located near the case pin connection strip and labeled "CMOS." It is usually jumpered 1-2 (default) . Move the jumper to pins 2-3 for 20-30 minutes. This will reset BIOS to factory default. It's helpful to remove the circular lithium CMOS battery at the same time.
Posted Image
  • Replace the battery and set the CMOS jumper back to pins 1-2. Test the computer by plugging in and powering on.
  • If still unsuccessful and you have access to a known good power supply, try to swap it out and see if it boots.
  • If it still doesn't boot then it may be time for a new motherboard.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users