Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home page will not change from default

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Yepytzme

Yepytzme

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Hi Folks,
Sorry to intrude on your holidays but I have another problem.
Last week a Rogers (ISP) repairman upgraded my modem to a newer one and ever since my Firefox has gone bananas. When I open Firefox my home page comes up as "rogers.my.yahoo.com". That is not the homepage I want. I change the 'show my homepage' to "Yahoo.ca", click 'home' and the proper home page does come up..but when I close Firefox and reopen it again comes up as "rogers.my.yahoo.com". when I check under tools, options, the 'show my homepage' reads: http://www.rogers.com/smartkey. I've tried several methods but to no avail. Each time I want my home page to open the way I want I have to change it manually each time I open Firefox. I found the problem [or at least I think I did], in my 'program files' under mozilla the mozilla.cfg file reads "//Firefox Default Settings
pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.rogers.com/smartkey");
", which to me says it has locked that home page and I am unable to change it.
ALSO, on top of that I cannot open any videos. Each time I try it says I have to upgrade flashplayer to be able to open the video. I've always had flashplayer but to be safe I installed the latest version. But again when I try to open a video it still says I have to install an upgrade to my flashplayer. This is very strange because everything works in Google Chrome and I.E., the videos work, and my home page comes up the way I want it in both of those browsers but firefox is all "foxed" up. Can't change my home page, can't play videos and it doesn't recognize flashplayer.

I tried deleting the 'mozilla.cfg' file but then I can't open firefox at all, it says can't open because it can't find the .cfg file so I had to restore the file. I tried changing the .cfg file but it will not allow me to.
I contacted Rogers but, as usual, they claim they don't deal in or with Firefox so they can't offer any help at all.

Anyone have any ideas? Please?

Yepytzme

Edited by Yepytzme, 26 December 2011 - 11:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:52 AM

I have never used Firefox but I do know that Flash is different on Firefox than on the other browsers. You have to install it as a Firefox addon and not the way you would install it with other browsers.

#3 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hi frankp316,
I don't mean to deny your advice but I've had Firefox for as long as I've had my computer, years and years and it always served me well. I never had any problems with flash player in all those years and I've never had it as an add on nor did I ever have any add ons in firefox. The problem began when my computer started slowing down to a crawl a couple of weeks ago. After many attempts, conversing with the wireless router people who actually realized that my router's firmware was way outdated. After they updated it everything ran fine for about a week. Then it slowed down again. My ISP checked everything remotely and found my modem was out dated...I have high speed express and the modem is a Rogers' Light modem. They came in and installed a high speed modem..to my dismay I have no idea what the tech did but ever since then firefox is bust. It would not recognize my preferred home page and locked in it's own Rogers home page, I couldn't play videos, as earlier stated. Luckily I found out that when I deleted the "local-settings.js" file firefox now does accept my preferred home page and that's fine but it still will not recognize the flash player. I called Rogers but as usual they said they don't deal with or recognize firefox so they said they wouldn't offer any advice whatsoever. As I mentioned earlier, I've never had to install flash player as an add on so I don't really know what the problem is or think it's the add on. I strongly feel that, like the 'local-settings.js', there is another arrogant, stubborn file sitting in firefox that I'm not aware of that is causing this problem as well.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

Uninstall Firefox completely, including all settings, preferences, etc.

Then download Firefox from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
and install it. Let's see if that helps.

#5 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

Thank you for all your assistance. Problem solved. Totally uninstalled FF, reinstalled and all previous issues are not a thing of the past. Everything is working fine.

Thanks again.

Yepytzme

#6 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

Don't see where here I can mark this topic as solved and closed.
Anyone who has that info please mark it as issues resolved.

Thanks

Yepytzme

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

You're welcome. And don't worry - on this forum topics remain open and do not get marked "solved"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users