Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

maxtor one touch 4 and windows 7 help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel1786

Rachel1786

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

My old computer had a small hard drive so a few years ago(maybe 2 or 3) I got an external hard drive to help with space. For Christmas yesterday I got a new dell inspiron with windows 7 home premium(64bit OS). Today when I plugged in my external hard drive into the usb port nothing happened. All my photos are on the drive so I would really like to get it to work with my new computer. Does anyone know why it's not working or how to get it to work? I'm worried because when I got the external windows 7 wasn't out yet(or it was really new). The hard drive is a Maxtor one touch 4 500GB.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:47 AM

Most likely its the 64 bit operating system as looking up on the external drive on google.

Tekken

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

IMO it should work. No difference in the drive formatting between 32 bit and 64 bit or XP to Windows 7.
I say that as someone that has setup externals on XP 32 Bit and uses them with Windows 7 64bit. If you think about it when you go to buy a external drive the only differentiation is between Windows and MAC OSes
When you plug in its power supply does it light up and can you hear the drive start to spin?

As a test of what

Most likely its the 64 bit operating system as looking up on the external drive on google.

try hooking it up to the old computer.

Edited by rotor123, 27 December 2011 - 03:11 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

As a reference from here http://techgage.com/article/maxtor_onetouch_4_plus_500gb_external_hard_drive/2
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=203131#10
It would look as the Maxtor Manager software is not recognized in 64 bit systems. But most likely as a copy/paste - drag/drop function only. See FAQ minimum system requirements.

Tekken

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

True I wouldn't expect that software to work. However I would expect that the drive should show up in my computer as a removable drive and be accessible.

I'm pretty sure I have one or more of those drives. I never did use the software with them.

Cheers

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

I'm not sure what was going on with it before, but the other day(after I posted this) I had unplugged the external's power supply and just decided to try it again. So I connected it again then plugged it into the computer and it came up right away this time. I had tried connecting it to multiple usb ports the other day and nothing. Well. as long as it's working now I'm good lol

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

I'd still be tempted to back up the contents to your new computer and or DVD blanks.

Good to hear it is working

Cheers

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users