Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0x0000007b Inaccessible_boot_device

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 drownloading

drownloading

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:31 PM

Hey there... My knowledge about computers is very minimal so please bear with me.

Everything was working fine before I left, and just turned off my comp without shutting down. When I tried to start it up, I got this blue screen stating INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and check for viruses on computer. Remove newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers and check HD if it is properly configured and terminated. Also, Run CHKDSK /F for HD corruption then restart computer. But, I couldn't do all these cause I couldn't boot up to my desktop, even tried booting to safe mode but it gave me the same blue screen. I don't remember installing anything new on my HD and what not. I'm using Windows 2000 Pro. Can anyone help me with/through it? Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

This may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;883114

Good luck
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 drownloading

drownloading
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:53 PM

Hey Ack, thanks for reading my post. I did try that earlier but it seemed to not have worked. I couldn't get access to my desktop is the problem. :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:07 PM

Try sfc /scannow from the prompt. It also could be as simple as a bad motherboard battery.
Sorry the first post did not help.

#5 drownloading

drownloading
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but how do i do that SFC thing? Sorry... Again, thanks for your time.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

The same way you run CHKDSK /F

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=222471

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=222193

#7 drownloading

drownloading
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:54 PM

I don't know where to type it in since I can't get access to my desktop, where I run the DSKCHK. Windows 2k would only start up half way through, then the blue screen with the inaccessible boot device message appears. I tried rebooting to safe mode, but it did the same thing. So I have nowhere to run the SFC in. :thumbsup:

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:15 AM

About have way down this page you will find the following instruction. Follow them. This will help you. From with in this program you should be able to run SFC.

Download the program from this link... http://www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=pebuilder319.exe

Getting started

This section will help you create your very first BartPE CD. It assumes that you are using Windows XP.

1. Make sure that your system has about 500MB of free disk space!

2. Download PE Builder 3.1.9 (self-installing package) and install it. See the Download section on this page.

Start PE Builder (pebuilder.exe). When you start PE Builder for the first time it will ask if you agree with the license agreement.

3. Now PE Builder will ask to search for windows installation files. If you don't have your windows XP setup/installation files on your system you must insert the original Microsoft Windows XP installation/setup CD at this point.
The files you have at c:\windows are not installation files. They are your already installed files!
Click "yes" to start searching. PE Builder will now search all fixed- and CD-Rom drives for Windows installation files. This will take some time. When more than one valid location is found, a dialog will appear where you can select which location you want to use.

At the main PE Builder dialog, select the "Burn to CD/DVD" option. When you are using an erasable medium, make sure that the "AutoErase RW" option is enabled. The "burn using" option should be set to "StarBurn". Select your CD writer device from the Device list.

Hit the "build" button. PE Builder will now ask you to create a BartPE directory, answer with "yes".

The license for your Microsoft Windows XP product is shown. Read it and agree to it to continue.

PE Builder will now start building BartPE. This will take a few minutes.
You will see a lot of files getting copied and/or decompressed, the ISO image build and the data recorded to your CD/DVD writer.
If the data verify was correct and there where no errors reported you can boot the CD/DVD!

#9 drownloading

drownloading
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

Ok. Thanks. I'll try it.. but one thing, I'm using Windows 2000, and I think that was for XP? Also, I'm accessing the net from my laptop and I'm needing help with fixing my desktop. So, if I actually download it, it would be saved on my laptop. And if that thing would work for windows 2k (on my desktop), do I download from the link that you gave me on a disc from this laptop? Is there a way that I can download anything on this laptop and save it on a disc for use on my desktop? Cause I really can't get an access to it. Sorry I really have no idea. I'm going to study for a bit. I'll check on this forum again later. Thanks a lot. And I apologize for the hassle.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:38 AM

Don't worry, no hassle. You will need to download it a burn it to a CD to use it. Yes it will work on W2k.
About 4/5 of the way down the page you will find this.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Can I run BartPE from my harddisk where Windows 2000/XP/2003 is already installed?
Yes! Very handy for testing...
Here is how to do that (pebuilder v3.1.2 or higher):

* Run PE-Builder as normal, no need to create an ISO image. Make sure you have the plugin "BartPE Harddisk Installer" enabled.
* After building, goto the plugin\pehdinst folder and run pehdinst.cmd <path>. Where <path> is the PE Builder output folder (default c:\pebldr). Select option "1" for installing next to your existing windows (boot.ini).
* When pehdinst.cmd has succesfully finished, reboot your system and select "Boot BartPE (by PE Builder)" from the boot.ini menu.

#11 drownloading

drownloading
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:17 AM

i think i have it downloaded on a CD now. what do i do next? have a good night and thanks again. i'll check this again later. :thumbsup:

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:31 AM

Put it in the cd and boot it. It will look just like windows. It also has some built in antivirus software if you would like to scan.

#13 drownloading

drownloading
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:47 AM

hi again. for some reason it didn't work for me...

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:49 PM

Try using your emergency boot disks (that you were supposed to create when your computer was new or when you installed Win 2k).

If you don't have them (4 floppies) you can download them at bootdisk.com and create them with your laptop (or you can create them directly with your laptop).

From Win 2000 Help:

Insert a blank, formatted, 3.5-inch, 1.44-MB disk into the floppy disk drive.
Insert the Windows 2000 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type d:\bootdisk\makeboot a: (where d: is the drive letter assigned to your CD-ROM drive), and then click OK.
Follow the screen prompts.
Important

You will need four blank, formatted, 3.5-inch, 1.44-MB floppy disks. Label them Setup Disk One, Setup Disk Two, Setup Disk Three, and Setup Disk Four.
Note

You can create the setup disks from a computer running any version of Windows or MS-DOS.

#15 drownloading

drownloading
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:02 PM

Ok. Thanks. I just need to borrow a win 2k cd rom and then I'll do the others from my laptop. Once I've downloaded the boot disks, what do I do with them? Will win 2k actually start up and skip the blue screen and get access to my desktop when I put my win 2k cd rom and a blank floppy disk in? Cause I can't get past that so I can't do the other steps for now (run > bootdisk.. etc...) for win 2k won't start up.. Sorry again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users