Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newer Java does not work

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 volita

volita

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

Hello there,

I am currently running Java JRE5u22.
If JRE6uxx is installed, then the Java Control panel does not open, and java works randomly. For example, http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1 will display the version that is installed, but http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp will fail and http://javatester.org/version.html will succeed.
Some applications that depend on Java will not work, but they did before with a JRE6uxx
So something happened that render JRE6uxx partially broken.

Any help...

Dell Vostro 3700
Intel Core i3 CPU M350@ 2.27Ghz
Memory 3Gb
Windows 7 32-bit OS
Firefox 8
IE 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:03 AM

Hi -
First please delete all old instances of Java (earlier than Version 7) -
JAVA Click this link and click on the Free JAVA Download
The current version is Version 7 Update 1 - You should not have any earlier versions installed -

Thank You -
EDIT -
This link Should get you to Version 7 if the other one will not.

Edited by noknojon, 27 December 2011 - 03:08 AM.

#3 volita

volita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

All previous versions of java have been uninstalled (that I can see) and jre-7u2 is installed now.

#4 volita

volita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hello there,

Still not working after installing the latest Java.

Any help?

Thanks

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Please describe your actual problem in more detail.
Is there a computer or system failure or malfunction with something ???

Still not working after installing the latest Java.

This quote means almost nothing or almost anything -

Thank You -

#6 volita

volita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

1. Web applications that need to connect to printers, do not work.
2. The the Java Control panel does not open. When I go to Start --> Control Panels --> Java it does not open. I can see in the Task Manager that javaw.exe appears for an instant in the Processes tab, and then it disappears.
3. When testing the Java installation at http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1 java.exe and jp2launcher.exe will show in the Processes tab of the Task Manager, but the test will fail. Also the Java tray icon shows up, I can get the menu by right clicking on it, but none of the items in the menu (Java Control Panel, Console, etc...) opens anything.
4. The test at http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp fails
5. The test at http://javatester.org/version.html fails

Let me know if there is a test I can perform to give you a better idea.

Thanks

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

(Taken on my XP desktop rather than setting up the Win 7 laptop)

1. Web applications that need to connect to printers, do not work.

As I read it, this is your only operational problem. The others are not problems, just you are not happy with ...........
Below this screen shot (from your link) are a list of problems / solutions,
Please go through each and every one by turn. If you still have a problem then post back -

Thank You -

EDITED for spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 05 January 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#8 volita

volita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

1. Enable Java through your Web browser --> Enabled in all browsers
2. Enable Java through the "Java Plug-in Control Panel" --> Can not open Java Control Panel
3. Clearing your Web Browser Cache --> Done
4. Firefox 3.6 and above requires Java 6 Update 10 or above --> Installed
5. Java and Google Chrome Browser --> Done
6. Supported System Configurations --> The only thing not listed is Firefox 8 as compatible, but I can see that Java appears enable as an add on in Firefox.

Still no working Java.
The other issues I mentioned after 1. are not issues I am not happy with. I mentioned them as symptoms of the problem to hopefully help figure out why Java is not working.

Thanks

Edited by volita, 05 January 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#9 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

I am using Java 7 Update 2. If that's what you have, I'd like to compare your Java Control Panel start process to mine and try to find the discrepancy.

Use Process Monitor to capture software operations.

• Download and extract to a folder on your desktop. Right-click on program and select Run As Administrator.
  • The ProcMon filter dialog box will appear. Click Reset and then OK. Process Monitor will begin capture.
  • Quickly try to open the Java Control Panel.
  • Switch back to Process Monitor and click File > Save. Save to your desktop as capture.
  • Download 7-zip and install.
  • Locate the capture file on the desktop, right-click and select 7-Zip > Add to "bootlog.7z". Do not select Add to "bootlog.zip".
  • Locate the new archive on your desktop and upload to a file-sharing site such as Mediafire.
  • Copy the file's weblink to your next reply.

Edited by LucheLibre, 05 January 2012 - 06:28 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#10 volita

volita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hello LucheLibre,

Thanks for your help.
I hope I did this right. If not let me know.
http://www.mediafire.com/?m1cyk8m02xw207d

Thanks

#11 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

Well, that was uneventful....

I see that you have two instances of an Amazon Merchant Transport service running, and each of those is running a java instance. Perhaps there is some conflict.

I searched practically line by line through your trace and mine. I think I accounted for the differences between java client and server versions, and the 64-bit and 32-bit. Both programs get all the way to doing a registry search for video devices, then mine immediately fires up my video drivers and proceeds normally. Your's doesn't even try. It does a big final read of rt.jar, queries some explorer group policy settings, theme information, etc, (none of which appeared to be fatal to the process) and then closes itself. I'm sorry, but I can't find why the video drivers are not started.

As a first step, I would disable the two Amazon services, reboot, make sure they're still disabled, reinstall Java, and retest.

Edited by LucheLibre, 06 January 2012 - 11:23 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#12 volita

volita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks LucheLibre,

I already tested with the Amazon instances of Java disabled. I just renamed the Amazon folder where the java.exe is, to no avail.
The thing is that all was working normal, the regular Java 6 update 20+ (don't remember) installation, with the Amazon instances of Java, until I got infected with "Windows 7 Security 2012" and then some rootkit right after that.
I repaired all with the help of some good folks here at bleepingcomputer, but I realized afterwards that java was not working.

Now that you mentioned video. I had this warning at startup , please see attachment.
We disabled the following startup item in the "System Configuration" to avoid the warning:

Startup Item: BE887E7A-E821-FAC3-6EEC-E4F9863526FA
Manufacturer: Unknown
Command: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe "C:\ProgramData\BE887E7A-E821-FAC3-6EEC-E4F9863526FA.avi",start minimized
Location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Maybe this will give you a hint of something that got broken and can be reinstalled.

Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files

#13 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

Oh, so this started after malware.

When I was looking through the stack trace of Java, I noticed that there were <unknown> -type entries all over the stack. Usually this is due to anti-virus applications, but in your case you might be re-infected.

Let's try this:

First uninstall any java entries. Then download JavaRa and use it for complete removal of any Java remnants.

Check System File Integrity

• Click Start Orb and type cmd. In search results, right-click cmd and select Run as Administrator.
  • At the prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. There is a space between "sfc" and "/scannow". This process make take a while.
    • If SFC find errors it cannot correct, it may ask you to insert your Windows CD.
  • If SFC finishes with errors, it will open a log in notepad. Copy the entire contents to your next reply.
  • Run Windows Update immediately if you had to use your Windows CD during this operation.
  • Restart your computer.

===========================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 08 January 2012 - 11:45 AM.

~ LL ~

#14 volita

volita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

There were no errors:

c:\>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

c:\>

Couple of things I noticed:

1. In the javara.log, there are a lot of lines with "The error returned was 124"
2. In javara, after uninstalling Java, in javara --> Additional Tasks --> Check Java Version, still says "Java JRE version: 7.0.20.13"
I do not know if what this is telling me is the latest Java version out there, or the Java Version on the computer. If the information is about what is on the computer and it was already uninstall, that means that something is still there, even after running javara.
3. I used to be able to access media files from the Windows Home Server on the TV through Windows Media Player. Not anymore. But WMP plays fine on the computer.
4. I have this icon with an X in the taskbar now. As if something is not mounting, but it is not a drive. See screenshot. I do not know if this might be related.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by volita, 09 January 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#15 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

When I run JavaRa, I get the 124 errors because it's looking for any Firefox-related java files, and I don't have Firefox installed. I figure it's just the removal script being a little dumb.

Be sure you run JavaRa with Admin privileges.

I used to be able to access media files from the Windows Home Server on the TV through Windows Media Player. Not anymore. But WMP plays fine on the computer.

Did this start happening after you ran JavaRa?

I'm thinking that JavaRa may not be able to handle some of the later Java installations. The RA guys have been acquired by another group and they say they're going to rewrite it from the ground up. I guess I'll have to stop using it myself until something happens with that program. Version 2.0 is currently in alpha. http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/javara-download/

This might be one of those times when running CCleaner's registry tool might be useful. Before you reinstall Java, give it a go and see if it picks up any old java entries. Also see if Revo Uninstaller picks up any remnant of Java and try to remove it that way. You may just have to fire up regedit, back up the registry, and do a search for 'java' or 'jre' in order to remove what you find.

Finally, does that taskbar icon have a tooltip that pops up with information?

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users