Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headphones Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Humphrey

Bruce Humphrey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

I have a Toshiba with Vista laptop (about 1 1/2 - 2 years old) and just bought a pair of headphones (Dynex USB headphones with mic for about $25 at Best Buy), but when I plug them in, the sound continues to come out of the laptop speakers (RealTek, I believe) but will not come out of the headphones, nor does the microphone work (I am trying to start a new job and need Skype to do so).

I have tried:
- Going through Control Panel > Sound > Device Manager
- Using the tips and tools on Skype
- Double, triple (ok, checking 100 times) that it's plugged in to a working USB port and that the mute is not turned on
- Using the sound level screen

What I am seeing now in my toolbar is: a speaker icon with a red and white X beside it. When I hover there, it tells me the volume level and "Speakers 2-USB PnP Sound Device"

I really, really want this job but it is not going to happen if I can't get this sorted out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

I don't know anything about it but I found this:

http://tiredblogger.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/usb-headsets-and-vista-sp1-setting-the-default-sound-device/

#3 Bruce Humphrey

Bruce Humphrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

Didn't help in my situation (it doesn't give me the option of setting headphone to default), but thanks

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

Can you return that headphone set?

Your Toshiba should have Headphone and Microphone jacks on it that take the same size plugs as on a desktop computer. On a desktop microphone is pink and headphone is green. Without knowing the exact model Toshiba I can not be more specific as to location and markings.

From here is a picture of what you should be using.
http://www.usr.com/support/9640/9640-files/9640-mac-install/index.htm

[attachment=115677:image006a.jpg]

This would avoid any problems such as you are having where the USB device becomes a second Sound card to the computer.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 31 December 2011 - 05:01 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users