Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Virus/Malware/Trojan- System Fix?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 baseballp117

baseballp117

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hello All,
I was on my computer the other night and all of a sudden everything on my computer started to go wacky. A program called system fix popped up on my computer (and it is currently a program on my lifeless desktop). I looked it up online instantly and found (on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-fix) that it was similar to another problem I had recently had with another virus. I ran rkill and malwarebytes accordingly over night. When i woke up in the morning, not only did the problem seem to become worse, but my computer had lost many of its programs/ they say they are empty (I have seen on many forums that this is a common problem).

Another problem I am having is that the programs that are present are not running. I can not open the internet on the laptop, and all of my applications do not run. So I am having problems running all of my antivirus/Malware software.

I have downloaded roguekiller, rkill (Both .exe and .com), malwarebytes, and exefix (http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/) on a usb drive in order to try and execute them on the laptop to no avail.

So to sum up everything: No internet, applications not working, possibly system fix, and I have tried an exefix. Please help! I have tried multiple things in order to get rid of this bug and it is quite tough. I would appreciate any and all help.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by baseballp117, 26 December 2011 - 08:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

OK, Do not run a registry cleanerif you you haven't.
Some types of malware will disable MBAM (MalwareBytes) and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it.

Before saving any of your security programs, rename them first. For example, before you save Malwarebytes', rename it to something like MBblah.exe and then click on Save and save it to your desktop. Same thing after you install it. Before running it, rename the main executable file first

This infection changes settings on your computer so that when you launch an executable, a file ending with .exe, it will instead launch the infection rather than the desired program. To fix this we must first download a Registry file that will fix these changes. From a clean computer, please download the following file and save it to a removable media such as a CD/DVD, external Drive, or USB flash drive.

FixNCR.reg

insert the removable device into the infected computer and open the folder the drive letter associated with it. You should now see the FixNCR.reg file that you had downloaded onto it. Double-click on the FixNCR.reg file to fix the Registry on your infected computer.

Have you trieds Safe Mode with Networking?
Run MBAM if you can now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 baseballp117

baseballp117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

No luck with the registry.. I have been trying everything in safe mode with networking. I am afraid that my only hope may be a system restore from the install disks. Please let me know if you have any more ideas. Thanks for the attempt.

Edited by baseballp117, 05 January 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action.

If you're not sure how to reformat or need help with reformatting, please review:These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Vista users can refer to these instructions:Don't forget you will have to go to Microsoft Update and apply all Windows security patches after reformatting.

Note: If you're using an IBM, Sony, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. See Technology Advisory Recovery Media. If the recovery partition has become infected, you will need to contact the manufacturer, explain what happened and ask them to send full recovery disks to use instead..

If you need additional assistance with reformatting or partitioning, you can start a new topic in the Operating Systems Subforums forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users