Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD ROM drive no longer recognized

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 devildog2126

devildog2126

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

I have a Toshiba T5500 Laptop running Windows XP professional. The Computer suddenly does not open or recognize the CD/DVD drive.
I opened the device manager and it is a Matbleepa DVD RAM UJ-841S
It has a yellow exclamation point warning and when I open properties it says under device status.; "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.(code 39)"

I do not have an old boot disk from Toshiba as the laptop is 5 yrs old. I have not been able to locate a driver for this hardware.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Try this link from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Fix it for me section and use the Microsoft FixIt for me button

That should do it.

Warning, Warning I strongly suggest you do not try the Manual Fix. Doing the Manual fix could lead to trashing your windows installation.

Please let us know if the Microsoft FixIt does the job or not. Don't forget to reboot.

Cheers

Edited by rotor123, 26 December 2011 - 06:06 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

I do not have an old boot disk from Toshiba as the laptop is 5 yrs old. I have not been able to locate a driver for this hardware.

Optical drives do not need 3rd party drivers. What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#4 devildog2126

devildog2126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

that worked thanks!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

Great news. I loved what happened to the name of your drive. Matbleepa DVD RAM UJ-841S
Especially since I know what it should have shown. Isn't autocensor wonderful?
BTW as Allan mentioned Optical drives are one of the hardware devices where windows supplies the drivers and not the manufacturer of the drive.

Edited by rotor123, 27 December 2011 - 06:43 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users