Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection Slow

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gopher Love

Gopher Love

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

Ok so I got a new Netgear N600 dual band router... I set it all up and can make everything kinda work now but the connection speed can't ever get past 6.5mbps.. ever... I know my connection is capable of much more and i've also seen this router work correctly for 5 min one time... i've been unplugging and reseting everthing all day and nothing has happened.. i have a consistant connection now it's just TERRIBLY slow.. any suggestions?? BTW: Terribly slow indicated connection on laptop that is again not normally slow (brand new samsung RF-711) and a new model xbox 360 which also has a nice wireless N card in it... I just don't understand why the wireless would be so slow on this router that can do like 500 times that (up to theoretical.. 300mbps) but I think I should at least get maybe to 50's maybe higher..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jardon Tech Training

Jardon Tech Training

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

Whats your signal strength like?

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

What's your subscribed connection speed and have you tried updating network drivers?

Tekken

#4 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

The connection could be slow for several reasons. Are you only seeing this with your wireless connection or wired as well?

Try:

Updating NIC drivers
Updating router firmware
Make sure your wireless connection is secure and no heady download is going on (obvious, but always gotta check)
Check signal strength
Make sure the router is set for N only or b/g/n if you have older devices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users