Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Deskjet 5550 Won't Print

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jersey441

jersey441

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

HP Deskjet 5550
Dell Dimension 4300S (Windows XP Home Edition Ver 5.1)

Simply won't print anymore. Upon attempting to print, the documents just sit in queue eventually giving
a Document Failed to Print error message.
Won't print test page either.

Power light is on.
Ink needed light is flashing (because one of the cartridges is low), but the printer should still attempt to print.

Tried restarting computer, turning printer off/on, unplugging from wall, unplugging from computer, taking cartridges out, and reinstalling drivers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

Why should it attempt to print. Some of the newer printers will stop printing as soon as any of the inks run out. This is by design to sell more ink. Why not try it on another computer?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 jersey441

jersey441
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

It's at least several years old. :)

The printer did have one full cartridge. In the past, this printer would still print B&W if color was low and vice versa. If both were low, it would thank you by printing a blank page. :lol:
What's interesting is that the error message isn't informing us that ink is out/too low instead its simply not working. It attempts to send the document to the printer but remains in a pending queue.

In the meantime, she has changed the ink and it's still not printing.

I'm writing on behalf of my mother. I wrote while I was visiting for the holidays but am now not nearby and will simply relay any troubleshooting, but unfortunately, she does not have another computer available.

Edited by jersey441, 28 December 2011 - 06:21 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

I don't have the details in front of me but I have seen and fixed that problem. I'll have to search and see if I can find the cure again. it was something to do with the print queue.

Printing B&W even with empty color is why my brother refuses to give up his old printer.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users