Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sorry, cant find best practices for a new PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 silvershadowfish

silvershadowfish

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

I'm sure this is somewhere, but I couldnt find it.

What are the best practices for a new Windows 7 computer?I just bought one for xmas for my daughter and I wanted to lock it down and prevent garbagewear from getting on it. What are the suggested steps I take to keep it safe?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

Hi -
First if you are not going to use the (usually installed) Norton Antivirus please fully uninstall it first.
Now select one that you want to install (Microsoft Security Essentials is decent and free for all Microsoft users).
Keep it updated and set to scan every day.
Install Malwarebytes (free) then update the program and scan with it daily.
If there ever seems to be any operating problems, have her sign up here, and post questions or problems.
Please read this general information on how to keep out of trouble on the internet
This page contains much good general day to day information.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users