Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Dual Boot From Startup Menu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 raaney

raaney

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hello guys

I had both Windows XP and Windows 7 installed on my computer until a few days ago. Then, I uninstalled the Windows 7 OS, and kept only XP. I've formatted the Windows 7 partition, but when I start the system, it still shows Windows 7 in the menu, and I can still select it. It doesn't work, obviously, but it's pretty annoying.
Any idea how do I remove it from the boot menu?

Thanks guys
Maddie

Hello Guys,

I had the same problem and tried what you guys suggested. But the boot.ini file only has a line for the operating system I'm using. I checked the hidden files in all other partitions but I already formatted all partitions and there is no other boot.ini files anywhere. I don't know what else could be wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks
Raaney

Edited by hamluis, 25 December 2011 - 09:56 PM.
Split from different topic, PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

FWIW: The boot.ini file for XP...is overridden by the Windows 7 file, normally. The basic assumption is that XP was installed before Win 7 and the XP boot.ini file is incapable of recognizing the Win 7 install because it's newer than XP.

Sooo...modifying the boot.ini file of an XP install...won't solve the problem, IMO. In fact, that boot.ini file won't even boot XP...it is the Win 7 files which now boot the XP install...and which reflect the Win 7 install that you removed.

If it were me...I would simply use EasyBCD to modify the recognized boot files...or simply do a repair install of XP, which will break the Win 7 bootloader and reestablish boot.ini properly.

EasyBCD

I dual-boot both and have done the repair install of XP when I tired of Win 7...and I've also used EasyBCD (installed in XP) to correct a boot problem with XP after I had removed my Win 7 partition.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 December 2011 - 10:09 PM.

#3 raaney

raaney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Hey Louis,

Thanks a lot for your answer. You were correct, the boot.ini file in XP wasn't even controlling anything. Through BCD, however I could see the Windows 7 boot options were still there and set to default as well. I deleted the Windows 7 boots but after closing everything and before restarting my computer, I opened BCD to check and somehow it showed me I had deleted the XP option. So I added the XP option and for the detection thing I left it to automatically discover where it was. At restart the WIndows 7 options were gone, but as I feared I had messed up the XP now. It showed an error that it couldn't start. File: \NST\ntldr, Status: 0xc000000f.

Now I tried repairing the Windows XP. I put in the CD, selected the boot from CD option and selected the repair option. It found one copy of Windows XP on my C:\ drive and asked which OS I wanted to log into. I selected the only XP installation it detected and it logged into it in command prompt. So I am guessing the Windows XP itself is not corrupted or anything, and that I have just messed up the booting stuff. I typed help and there was a "BOOTCFG" command. I tried that with bootcfg \rebuild. And it asked me three questions:

1) Add Installation to Boot List---------I selected Yes

2) Enter Load Identifier----------------I don't know what to put there

3) Enter OS Load Options--------------I don't know what to do there as well

I may have it all wrong and this bootcfg \rebuild command might not even be the way to fix it, I just mentioned it to tell you what I've tried.

If you can help me with this new problem, I'd be a lot thankful.

Sincerely,
Danish

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

No problem :).

Bootcfg is another way of modifying XP boot files. I've used it before, but i have to follow the instructions for the two fields you mentioned.

It will generate a new boot.ini file and the system would boot, even if you didn't complete those fields...but it's just as easy to understand what should go there.

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

Enter Load Identifier: (Custom description for an operating system loading from the Boot menu) Windows XPEnter Operating System Load Options: (that is: /fastdetect) /fastdetect

Now...when you boot into XP, all should be well. But...just in case your boot logon screen reflects two installs of XP...just follow the procedure outlined at Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm .

Louis

#5 raaney

raaney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hi Louis,

Sorry I just fixed it and was on my way to post here when I see you have posted some new help already :)

Anyways, I checked out the Microsoft Support page you gave a link to (or a similar one) and found the options to put in those two fields. They were just like you are mentioning :)

But that sadly did not fix the issue and I kept getting the same "Failed to start" screen.

However I read someplace to use FIXMBR and FIXBOOT at the command prompt after I had accessed my OS over there. And this has fixed the problem. Their is only one Windows XP option at startup and its working fine too. While running these two commands the system gave me a rather scary message that this could mess something up and I could lose access to all partitions. But I crossed my fingers and did it lol, fortunately it solved the issue and I did not lose any data.

Unfortunately I don't have a solid understanding of how these commands worked. So maybe you can elaborate on that a little.

Thanks for all the correspondance
Raaney

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

The basic problem...is that the Win 7 boot files...still exist on the XP install. As long as thorse files remain, you will probably get that error.

Which is why I said that EasyBCD would be my solution.

AFAIK, the only way to get rid of those files now...is to do a repair install of XP, which will flush all the current system files.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users