Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Value of password encryption program vs another method?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

Good evening everyone and Happy Holidays to you as well!

Over the past few days, I've spent a significant amount of time looking at some of these password encryption programs (both FREE & the paid variety, as well as, the reviews I've been able to locate). My purpose has been to try and determine if they are of any real value as far as security enhancement (related to passwords), or whether another method I have been utilizing for a short period of time is just as good...or perhaps better.

I've even tried out one password-protection program called KeePass. I spent two days just reading the written data available about it, as well as, repeatedly watching/re-watching several videos about the KeePass software. For a program that the reviews claim is one of the best free ones and EASY :blink: to use...I think the rose-colored glasses need to come off! At present, I still don't feel like I have a real grasp on the inner workings of KeePass!

Two things I want to be able to do is, (1) - keep my list of something like 30 passwords secure on my computer (all PW's are on s USB flash drive), and (2) - be able to "lock", (i.e. password-protect), a significant number of files/folders on one particular USB flash drive (which contain sensitive information). The firewall I use has a file/folder locking capability. In fact, the whole USB flash drive itself can be completely locked and inaccessible unless I enter the complex password I use to suspend the protection. (As an added measure...a number of files, including some files which are located within folders...I have also added an additional password to secure it).

This latter method seems to be working rather well since I first began using it several weeks ago. It is also far, far simpler to understand and use than KeePass.

I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas, experiences, or other comments anyone may have on this issue.

Thank you for your time and help!

Edited by spc3rd, 26 December 2011 - 09:46 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

I know that I'm going against the grain on this one...but I see no need whatever for me to worry about password security...and I don't.

In the first place...anything requiringa a password which is on my systems...probably has additional mechanisms that must be used with the password (e.g., my bank) or isn't worth worrying about (passwords for downloads/programs...access to websites, etc., IMO.

I, in my simplicity, keep all passwords of any sort on a word/text document which is available on both of my systems.

I don't anticipate being hacked...there are no other users for my systems...I don't see the need for a lot of worry on my part and I keep it simple.

This may be a partial backlash to my being either a custodian or having access to TS documents within the Army, where I truly was concerned with security of materials...I can't say for sure but I know that I don't feel this is a matter of great importance for me.

Actually, I think that I stand a greater risk compromise by virtue of the institution being hacked...than if someone bothered with my system.

But...I'm a simple person, with simple interests, not an attractive target of any sort...for anyone wanting security data of any sort which might be deemed attractive. And I practice good-to-excellent system security...since the major threat for beign hacked will be malware. I'd rather stop them at the front door than worry about their ability to find the keys to the car :).

Louis

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

I really appreciate your response to the topic I posted about, Louis!

As you described yourself...I am inclined to try and keep everything in my daily life as uncomplicated as possible. Also...as you do...I maintain a computer file with a table-style listing of all usernames & PW's associated with my bank, on-line forums I belong to, etc. I do have the file encoded with a PW, plus since it is stored on one of the USB flash drives, I can use the File & Folder Locking feature my firewall program has, to secure the entire flash drive as well.

I agree that if I can just keep the cretins from getting into my system in the first place...then I should be o.k.

I'll be signing-off for about an hour now (so I can go to the grocery store), I once more appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post Louis, as well as, the invaluable information & viewpoint(s) you impart!

Edited by spc3rd, 26 December 2011 - 06:21 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users