Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

software compatiblity issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

this really concerns Excel and its different iterations...

a guy a shoot competition with creates a spreadsheet with the scores on it every year. i THINK hes still on a 486 but i KNOW hes using Microsoft Works...

his XLR files dont open using MS10...

i wanted to maybe rename them with a different extension but i dont really expect that to work, and besides i cant figure out how to...

if anyone has some sort of magical, conversion process id really appreciate it...

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

Convert the file using this converter and then see if you can open it in Excel.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=12
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

i downloaded the program and then ran the installation...

i cant find the program anywhere on my computer. the install wizard didnt ask where i might want to install it to and ive done a couple of searches and its not to be found...

any help?

when i search for *.msi files i get the install wizard for the program. its already installed SOMEPLACE in there...

Edited by ltdave, 26 December 2011 - 04:19 PM.

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Budapest, I think the OP may not meet the System Requirements or the version of Works for that particular File Converter. It doesn't apply to Win7 or Works 10. Maybe there is a later File Converter that would work?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

If it is a compatibility problem you could try using a computer that runs XP or Vista.

If you don't have access to another machine you can try using XP Mode in Win 7.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

yes i could use an XP machine but then that sort of defeats the purpose having all of my files IN ONE PLACE now doesnt it...

the reason i wanted it to run and be accessible on my Win7 computer is because i got rid of my XP machine...

ill see if theres something else i can do....

thanks

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Take a look here: Open Microsoft Works files in Excel

Open a Microsoft Works file in Excel

Once your Microsoft Works file is in a compatible format, you can open it in Excel.

• On the File menu, click Open.
  • In the Look in list, click the drive or folder that contains the file you want to open, and then locate the folder that contains the file.
  • In the Files of type list, click one of the following file types:
    • If the file is in Microsoft Works format, click Microsoft Works 2.0 Files (*.wks).
    • If the file is in Microsoft Excel file format, click Microsoft Excel Files (*.xl*;*.xls;*.xla;*.xlt;*.*.xlm; *.xlc;).
    • If the file is in Lotus 1-2-3 format, click Lotus 1-2-3 Files (*.wk?).
  • Double-click the file you want to open.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

this is what i get when i try to OPEN the xlr file...

Posted Image

when i click on it in the email, i select the "SAVE FILE" option and it saves it as an XLR file on my computer. i can NOT change the file TYPE. i can rename it with .xl, .xls or .xlsr or any number of "dot" whatevers but it will NOT change the TYPE of file...

i dont get the option to "save AS" just "save"...

if i pick the "OPEN WITH" option the only thing i get to open it with is Microsoft Office 10. whenever i try to open it, MSO10 will pop up a thumbnail display of whatever pictures happen to be in the same 'folder' so to speak...

#9 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hi itdave,

The following link offers a solution that seems to work. I haven't tried it as I have no xlr files to work with..

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-customize/opening-xlr-files-with-excel-2010/3c5483fe-71dd-459f-862a-81049a1ae62a

Pauline

#10 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

Pauline...

ill give it a try 'just in case' but i DID finally get it resolved...

all of the other files were saved as "Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet" files...

i went back to the XP machine, opened the file saved it as an XLS file and as a "worksheet" and that seems to have done the trick...

i have GOT to get the other guy set up with a proper version of MSO. maybe he needs a new machine too but good God this was a long drawn out process...

thanks for everyone's help...

#11 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

Good to hear you got it worked out, Itdave :thumbup2: ..Hard to believe Microsoft creates programs that conflicts with their other programs..ah well..

Pauline

#12 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

the microsoft WORKS is a 'whet your whistle' sized program that came out probably about the time window 3.1 came out...

the guy that uses it, got the 'set up' from another guy who wasnt too up to date (had no real need for the internet)...

it was just a pain...

thanks

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

There is always Openoffice or LibreOffice which are both free and are MS compatible, that you might suggest to him. This way he can send stuff out with a more compatibility to office software that is installed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users