Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Printer, Multiple Comp's

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Shake That-x

Shake That-x

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

Alright, the name is pretty self-explanitory..
Here's a "diagram" to try and explain this

[Wireless internet]
[My Computer]

[Parent's Computer][~~~USB Cable~~~][Printer]

[Router]

Ok, well anyways.. I want to know if it is possible to print from my computer? How can I set this up?
I have installed the printer disc on both computers, but where do I go from there?
Please tell me If I need To Make It A little easier to understand...
Oh, and If it matters, I have an HP 1400 printer..

- Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

You missed one important fact: What OS do both computers have?

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 Shake That-x

Shake That-x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:41 PM

Umm what do you mean by OS? I don't understand this.. ><

#4 Shake That-x

Shake That-x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

AMAGAD I THINK I GOT IT!!!

I'm guessing OS means Operating System,
Well, they run on windows XP Mine is Prof. My paren'ts is Home

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:03 PM

OS= Win 95,98,ME,XP,etc.?
I'm guessing they'll both be windows XP computers? [Edit - just saw your post, XP Home and XP Pro]

I don't really follow your diagram are you saying both computers are connected wirelessly to the internet through a router?

If that is the case then your network is already set up. All you have to do is make sure both computers are in the same workgroup:
Control Panel>>System>>Click the 'Computer Name' tab.
You will see details about the computer's description, name and workgroup. There is a 'Change' button to allow you to alter the name or workgroup.

Then check that 'file and printer sharing' is enabled:
Control Panel'>'Network Connections' right-click on "Wireless Connection" (or similar) and click 'Properties'.
There should be an entry "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" which should be ticked. If it is not there install it, you will need to reboot afterwards.

Then share the printer:
Control Panel>>'Printers and Faxes'>>right click the printer and click 'Sharing' from the menu that appears.
Select 'Share this printer' and give it a 'Share name' if you wish. If the printer is to be shared with computers running different vertions of Windows click the 'Additional Drivers' button, a new dialog box will open where you can select drivers to be made available for a range of Windows versions.
Click 'Apply' then 'OK' to close the window.
The printer icon will change to include a hand to show it is being shared.

You should only need to install the printer software on the computer connected to the printer, when the printer is shared you go to the other computer and install it as a network printer, Windows will transfer any software it needs, from the computer with the printer, automatically.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 06 February 2006 - 07:06 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

Yup. You're right. OS stands for Operating System. One get so used to the jargon that sometimes forgets not everybody is familiar with the terms.

As for your problem, you have to share the printer in the computer it's plugged in. Start - Printers and faxes - Your printer; right clic on the printer; Share - Share this printer; give a name to the shared resource (that's the printer, any name will do); Then, in the other computer, delete the printer you installed before, you are going to install it anew. Use the Add a new printer assistant; when asked, choose the option "A network printer or a printer connected..."; search the network and choose the printer installed in the other computer (there should be only another computer with only one printer).

#7 Shake That-x

Shake That-x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:14 PM

That helped a bit, but I had a Canon printer installed previously, and the only two printers to chose from are the Canon printer and "Microsoft Office(etc.).." There is no selection for the HP printer.. Now?

Forum Home Search Help Operating Systems |-- Windows 95/98*Grinler |-- Windows XP Home and Professional |-- Windows NT/2000/2003 |-- Windows Vista Beta |-- Linux & Unix |---- Live Linux |-- Apple/DOS/PDA/Other |-- Mini guides and how-tos - Simple answers to common questions |---- Audio and Video |---- Email |---- Images, Image Editing, Image Viewing |---- Internet Applications |---- Linux |---- Networking |---- Security |---- Web Browsers |---- Microsoft Windows Software and Hardware |-- Business Applications |-- Games |-- All other Applications |-- Hardware |-- Tips and Tricks |-- Graphics Design and Photo Editing |-- Audio and Video |-- Programming Internet & Networking |-- Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications |-- Networking |-- Web Site Programming and Scripts Security |-- AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods |-- Microsoft AntiSpyware |-- Am I infected? What do I do? |-- Breaking Virus & Security News |-- Security Updates |-- HijackThis Logs and Analysis |-- Spyware Removal & Malware Self-Help and Reading Room Bleeping Computer Applications |-- Tutorials |-- Windows Startup Programs Database General Topics |-- General Chat |-- Introductions |-- New User Orientation |-- The Speak Easy |-- Forum Games and Bleeping Computer Arcade |-- News |-- Photo Albums and Images |-- Bleeping Computer Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions |-- Tests and Scribbles

Display Mode: Standard Switch to: Linear+ Switch to: Outline

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic Subscribe to this forum

English English.2 Lo-Fi VersionTime is now: 6th February 2006 - 07:04 PM

About Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Support Bleeping Computer | Site Map | Chat | Tutorials
Discussion Forums | The Computer Glossary | Resources | Spyware/HJ Detector | RSS Feeds | Startups | The File Database | Add Mozilla Sidebar

Invision Power Board v2.1.1 2006 IPS, Inc. [/quote]

#8 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

Did you share the printer in your parent's computer? If so, then I think you'll have to set a network up. Run the Home network assistant in both computers making sure both are in the same workgroup and shared resources are allowed. Normally, once in the same group, both computers should find the shared resources.

Edited by Cyclica, 06 February 2006 - 07:45 PM.

#9 Shake That-x

Shake That-x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

Ok, well I added the HP Printer from my parent's comp.. but when I went to add it it said something like
Printer does not have proper driver installed, click Ok to search for it.. Click cancel and contact your admin.. or something like that... ?

#10 Shake That-x

Shake That-x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:44 PM

AMAGAD THANK YOU ALL!!!!! YOU HELPED SOO MUCH AND I FINALLY GOT IT TOO WORK <<3

:woot: :thumbsup: :inlove: :flowers: :trumpet: :bike:
- Matt

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:57 PM

Good work. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users