Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing Folders and files Windows 7 (Homegroup issues)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JesterDev

JesterDev

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

I am trying to share folders on my deskop with my laptop, but I need something that will allow me to edit photos in lightroom on my laptop that are stored on my desktop via Lightroom.
Thought that maybe windows 7 "homegroup" feature might allow me to do this, but when I try and setup a homegroup on my desktop it says "Cannot create a homegroup on this computer"

Accessing my desktop via logmein.com, to try and set this up. My desktop is currently several miles away, and I need to access those files.

I read something about deleting a file in /peernetworking/idstore.sst - Deleted it and rebooted, still get the same error.

Both laptop and desktop are running Windows 7. Have dropbox installed, but it is already loaded with photos, no room left. So really if I cannot solve this
issue soon, is there any software that will do the same thing?

Edited by JesterDev, 25 December 2011 - 03:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

So really if I cannot solve this issue soon, is there any software that will do the same thing?
"Cannot create a homegroup on this computer"

Hi -
Have youever thought of downloading to a CD or DVD or Flash drive to transfer them ??
Once installed on the 2nd computer you can edit them or just keep them on CD until needed.

Regards -

#3 JesterDev

JesterDev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

I've had to do that in the past, but I shoot in RAW format, and have well over 100,000 photos. RAW images are much larger then your typical jpegs. I normally use
dropbox, but that is getting over loaded and it's too expensive to keep paying for the larger capacity.

Not that I need access to all my photo's at once, but it sure helps to be able to pick and choose. I'm an artist by trade, and often use photos in various art shows.
Sometimes I need fillers, or samples of my work and that's where the photos come in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users