Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Start Up Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 90265

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:50 PM

Hi.
Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. I bought an IBM T41 and it was working quite nicely. I downloaded limewire (downloaded a short movie clip) and charged up my Ipod. When I went to
turn on the computer the next day it loaded slowly then I got a screen that looked like:

Error 0200:
Failure Fixed Disk O
Press F1 to setup

Can I fix this using the setup? If so, how? If I use my IBM recovery disc will I loose everything on my hard drive? Thanks alot everyone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:01 PM

It probably means the hard drive is dead. Is the computer still under warranty? If so call for help.

If not and you can get your hands on a windows xp disk, try booting from the cd, if it doesn't boot to the cd, go into bios setup and change boot order to cd then hard drive.

If you can do this, say no at the first screen that asks if you want to run recovery console. At the next screen you have a choice of reinstall or repair. Choose repair and follow on screen instructions.

If none of the above help, buy an external usb housing for a 2.5 inch hard drive. They run $10 to $50. They are all over ebay and great to have for just such an occasion. Anyway, remove the hard drive from the laptop. There should be instructions in the manual. It is generally easier than doing something similar to a desk top, but be very, very careful. The parts are small and delicate. Make sure that the computer is unplugged and battery removed. Make sure that you are well grounded, static electricity can be a problem, particularly this time of year.

Anyway, put the hard drive in the eternal housing and plug into another comuter. If the other computer sees the disk, great. Copy any files you want to save, put drive back in the laptop and run recovery disk and reload files.

As a last resort, try running the recovery disk and see if it sees the hard drive. If it does, then cancel out until you can copy important files.

Remember always backup important files, it is not if but when a good backup is needed.

For a good break down on backing up your computer go to http://www.langa.com/backups/backups.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users