Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow /Not Responding/ High Disk Usage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lukalu456

Lukalu456

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

My computer is a Vista Home Premium from 2007 with service pack 2 and the latest java. It consistently has this "not responding" problem. This happens on all the programs I'm running, including the notepad, Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer, individual web pages, things in the computer like the system tray...it affects everything with a window. It will say at the top of the window the name of the program, and in parentheses, it will say (Not Responding). I'm getting warnings from Norton that say High Disk Usage from one thing or another. I looked at the Windows Task Manager and it said iexplore.exe was running and it also had several entries.

Sometimes I don't get the (Not Responding), IE will just slow down and go white and it can take up to 5 minutes for it to pull up a web page or respond. I've run the latest Malwarbyte's Antimalware, I've run CCCleaner, I've removed a number of unnecessary programs (although I have plenty of space on the hard drive), I've set a number of programs for delayed startup (and my computer does start up very quickly now).

The fan is running a lot sometimes. I can't really clean it out myself because it is a laptop. I do use compressed air in the vents. Is there an inexpensive way to clean it out, since I can't afford to pay someone to take it apart and clean it? I suspect this is part of the problem, but would dust be causing this much slowdown?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:04 AM

Can you check safemode if it stops to a halt also? What laptop model is it? Regarding your current Norton antivirus, what software package is it? Another thing to try is to start a Vista clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796 . By enabling half then one item on every reboot would see if any of the item is the culprit.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users