Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some internet sites won't load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lucky_214

lucky_214

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

I have the exact same problem with my HP Pavillion Slimline s5, 1110 PC (Windows 7 Home Edition). Internet works fine on Time Warner Cable and severely bugs out on CenturyLink DSL. I can ping some servers but can really only get small amounts of bandwidth through. For example, I'll get search results from Google & Youtube, but can't go to most sites. I can get into Netflix, but only the background will load.

I've gone round and round with CenturyLink help service and they insist it's a computer problem (which I agree).
I called HP Customer Support 2x and the Indian jerks just screwed with me both times. The first one kept cutting me off repeating his opening line but slightly different each time. The 2nd one just hung up on me when I read my computer model number. I didn't even have an opportunity to be a pain in the butt, they were just screwing around from the git-go.

I tried OpenDNS
Removed all garbageware that came with the machine including Norton.
Office Depot let me exchange it for the same model and it performs the same way.
I've tested the DSL modem with another computer on Windows 7 Ultimate, and it works fine. I suspect HP has a trojan on here that isn't playing well with the authentication for the DSL network. Whenever I type www.msn.com in the address bar it goes to www.hp.desktop.us.msn.com It could be a Home Edition problem though.

Have you discovered anything else with that new modem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hello, I suspect it is some crapware and you still need help.
Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Include a link back to this topic.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 lucky_214

lucky_214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:15 AM

Swapped out the Westell 6100 modem for a different model and it started working.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

Good job,thanks for the update.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users