Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In XP, how can I get the Volume icon to reappear in the System Tray?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lee42

Lee42

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have an eMachine T5048 running XP-MCE and out of the blue, the icon disappeared from the System Tray for the Volume control so I went into the Control Panel to Sounds and Audio Devices to see if the check was in the box for "Place volume icon in the taskbar", and it was. Here is a screenshot of that.

Why is it that when that box is checked, the volume icon is supposed to be there but in my case it's not? It used to be there but it's gone now and I used that icon all the time to adjust the volume and would love to have it back.

Can someone please instruct me as to how I can get the Volume icon back in the System Tray?

Thank you,

Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

Check to see if you have the volume icon set to hide.

If you need to know how to check, follow the directions here
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-hideshow-icons-in-your-windows-taskbar/

#3 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

Check to see if you have the volume icon set to hide.

Hi Queen-Evie,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. It was still set at Always Show like I had previously changed it to. It used to be Hide when inactive but since I used it all the time, I changed it.

Fwiw, instead of it being listed under Current Items, it was listed under Past Items, if that helps.

Thanks again,

Lee

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

I have seen the volume icon mysteriously dissapear before.

Tried rebooting yet?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

Unfortunately that was the only thing I could think of to tell you. Hopefully someone else will provide you with more suggestions.

#6 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

Actually, this didn't just happen. It's been like a few months or so since it disappeared. I just now got around got to asking for help about it. :)

#7 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Unfortunately that was the only thing I could think of to tell you. Hopefully someone else will provide you with more suggestions.

Well I certainly do appreciate your taking the time to help me out. I'm always open to anything that could resolve the issue.

Thanks!

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

Have you uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers for your sound device?

#9 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

No I haven't. The sound driver is from the system recovery disc (that came with the computer when I bought it new, and I have reinstalled this OS using the disc many times) and I have no idea where I can get a separate (proper) sound driver to try that with. I have no issues with sounds playing, never have, it's just the missing icon is all that's ever happened.

Are there maybe some generic sounds drivers I could try for this eMachine T5048? If I did that, I'd create a system restore point first then give it a go and if it didn't work, I could just do a system restore to go back. Or, I imagine in the Device Manager, I could just roll back to the previous driver that way, if I'm not mistaken, but I've never had to do that so I'm not entirely sure if that works. Btw, is it possible to reinstall the driver using the actual system recovery disc as a source? If so, I can try that. I just always thought the only thing the disc was good for was reinstalling the OS.

#10 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

Hi Lee42,

Try this solution from Microsoft..Volume icon is not displayed in the notification area, and you may receive an error message when you try to add it

For updated drivers..Go to the computer manufacturer's site and check for updates to your audio..Example..if it is a Dell..go to the Dell site..

Pauline

#11 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

Hi Pauline,

Thank you for the great link to the microsoft article. I'm reading it and I'm currently working on the methods it's saying to try. I've got my recovery disc in the drive and I'm about to "expand" the SNDVOL32.EX_ file to replace the (possibly damaged?) one in the c:\windows\system32 folder. I already backed up the file (on my hdd) to a separate folder just in case I need to copy it back. I shall return with the results very soon.

Of course, if this doesn't work, I will go to emachines.com to try and find an updated sound driver. Wish me luck there. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Whoo-Hooo!! The Volume icon is back in my system tray!! Using Method #2 from the Microsoft article that you graciously provided me, I was able to expand the SNDVOL32.EX_ file from the system recovery disc and replace the one on my hdd. But the thing is, at first, I didn't think it worked because as soon as I did it, I checked to see if the icon was back and it wasn't. So I thought maybe I needed to reboot so I closed everything up except the Task Manager (was already running as always) and got an idea to end the explorer.exe process and restart it. Welp, I did that and sure enough, when I looked again in the tray, the Volume icon was there once again!! :thumbsup:

So Pauline, Thank you so much!!! You saved the day and I reaalllly appreciate your help! Take care and Happy Holidays to ya!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to anyone else who stumbles across this thread in the future, who has the same problem as I just did, read the Microsoft article (here) and if Method 1 doesn't work, do Method 2 and do note, you will not see the Volume icon reappear just yet, it will only reappear if you either reboot (easier for most) or manually end and restart the explorer.exe process using the Windows Task Manager. But if you're not familiar with using the Task Manager, then I would just close everything up, saving all your work, then restart the computer. You should then see the Volume icon once again in the system tray (aka notification area in the bottom right corner of the screen). Just wanted to share this information since the Microsoft article, though very informative and helpful, did fail to include that important part of the process. I just happened to figure it out on my own. Fwiw, I hope this helps someone in the future.

Edited by Lee42, 25 December 2011 - 01:21 AM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

Sometimes...the volume icon disappears in favor of the installed audio driver control package.

T5048 Drivers

I would install the chipset drivers anew, then...uninstall current audio drivers, reinstall drivers from website.

Louis

#13 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

T5048 Drivers

Thank you Louis for providing the link to the drivers for this old computer of mine. My issue is resolved now since I replaced the Sndvol32.exe file with the one from the recovery disc and all is well again. But now that I have the direct link to get any drivers I need for this, I will definitely go back there in the future. :thumbup2:

Take care and Happy Holidays to ya! :)

#14 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

Thank you Lee42 for posting an update..Always good to know what solution worked and especially any additional information that will help others (the reboot to see the results)..Good to hear you got it going !

Happy Holidays to you!

Pauline

#15 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

Thank you Lee42 for posting an update..Always good to know what solution worked and especially any additional information that will help others (the reboot to see the results)..Good to hear you got it going !

Hi Pauline,

I thought it'd be a good idea to include the details of my experience to hopefully help somebody out in the future. I will mention now though, the funny thing is that my computer is being fickle and sometimes the sound icon is there in the system tray and sometimes it's not. But it's been appearing most of the times I boot up so I'll just have to be content with that. It's better than it not being there at all. Actually, I think it's about time for reinstalling the OS again, then I'll have a clean slate and surely the sound icon will be there and stay there.

Thanks again for your help! :thumbup2:

Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users