Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Linux Partition Without Using Linux

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frogster

frogster

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

I use Windows 98SE. I had also installed RedHat Linux as well after partitioning my hard drive. I would now like to completely remove linux from my hard drive AND do a complete reinstall of Windows 98SE (it has become very buggy). I therefore backed up all my important files and created a Windows 98 boot disk. I also have my Windows 98SE recovery CD.

I tried a complete reinstall of Windows 98SE using the "reformat hard drive" option. It reinstalled Windows properly but it did not remove the linux partition. Searching the Web, I found a method to remove the linux partition which requires the Linux installation CD which I unfortunately no longer have.

Is there a way to do this without using Linux?

Thanks,
Frogster :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:50 PM

Yes, there is. Once your computer has booted with the w98 boot disk, type "FDISK" (with no quotes, of course); and choose the proper option from the list to remove a partition, then; choose the option to remove a non-DOS partition, and you are done. Create and activate a new partition before exiting fdisk and don't forget to restart the system so the changes take effect. After restarting, format the partition created and re-install Windows.

#3 frogster

frogster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:41 AM

Thank you! It worked.

Frogster

#4 Cyclica

Cyclica