Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Can't Find Wireless Networks--Please Advise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blinkstar

Blinkstar

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

My sister's laptop--an HP Pavilion DV5000, running XP Media Center--will not recognize any wireless networks ("No wireless networks were found in range") even when I know there IS one in range, like my own, for instance.

COMPLICATED BACK STORY--FEEL FREE TO SKIP:
I'm am partly to blame for this, I guess, because years ago it WOULD recognize some networks, just not the one at our parent's house. I did something to it (can't remember what now) to get it to recognize our parents wifi and it worked, but from then on, according to my sister, it stopped working EVERYWHERE else. (Now she says it won't even work at our parent's house). My sister is visiting me for the hollidays and I have exactly one day to try to fix this problem.

MY QUESTION(S):

What are the basic steps to rundown in attempting to fix this problem? Should I uninstall/reinstall the wifi drivers?

Yes, the laptop does have an external wifi button and I've pushed it and it lights up and makes no difference.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Blinkstar, 24 December 2011 - 06:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:59 PM

<<Should I uninstall/reinstall the wifi drivers?>>

I'd say...that's always the first thing any user should try...when dealing with a device which previously worked properly but suddenly ceases to do so. File corruption/damage occurs all the time and the only tipoff to such is when a file/function ceases to behave properly.

It may not help but it's painless and it won't hurt the system in any way.

After that...I would run through the Windows Help menu troubleshooter for networking.

Louis

#3 Blinkstar

Blinkstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for responding, Louis!

Reinstalling the driver is now first on my list. I'll post back with the results, if any.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:45 AM

get it to recognize our parents wifi and it worked, but from then on, according to my sister, it stopped working EVERYWHERE else.

With many wireless network profile that are already stored, you might need to remove most of this unnecessary connections. Just retain home network profile and other frequently used network and check required security settings. There is also a setting under the adapter to connect automatically and even when the network is not broadcasting. There is also a possibility that your network card is faulty if reinstalling or latter suggestions did not create solutions.

Tekken

#5 Blinkstar

Blinkstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

Uninstalling and updating the driver made no difference. I get the same thing: a little message on the bottom of the screen telling me wireless networks are available, then when I click on the icon windows tells me it can't find any wireless networks ... so frustrating.

jhayz--can you walk me through some of that stuff? I don't see any connections to remove whatsoever. I don't think this laptop has a home network profile .... and check required security settings ... do mean the firewall?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Try manually connecting to the preferred home network http://www.libonis.com/images/registry/wireless-XP.pdf

Tekken

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

Hi -
Please post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy
This will help us check if your Wireless card is installed and active -

Thank You -

#8 HelpPeople

HelpPeople

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Good morning!

I faced the same issue when I reinstall Windows XP into my HP Pavillion DV5000 with PRO/Wireless. After 3 days of research I finally found the solution

Steps you need to follow are:

1. Make sure that you enable WLAN in BIOS which will enable searching wireless networks in the range

2. Go to Device Manager and check whether your wireless device (in my case it was Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945BG if I remember correctly) is listed without any errors (without yellow exclamation mark)

3. Download Windows XP service pack 2 using another computer and installed it in the problematic laptop (Use USB drive to copy the file) and if required restart the laptop

4. Download Windows XP service pack 3 and install (After installing please restart again)

5. Now go and refresh wireless network list and click connect by selecting target network

Above steps worked for me, so my assumption was that driver problem related to connection has been fixed in the Service Pack 3, cause even after installing Service Pack 2, it couldn't connect.

Good luck guys, I can feel your pain

Anyway keep smiling :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users