Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading computer, no signal to monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crybllrd

crybllrd

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

I updated from xp to windows 7 last week.
I installed 4 more gigs of ram for a total of six gigs of ram.
On first boot, I was told that my hard drive was corrupted and to back it up and replace it.
I backed it all up to an old computer and ordered a new hard drive.
When it came in, I installed it but then my monitor is not getting a signal.
I plugged the monitor into the old computer and the monitor works fine (cables and all).
The corrupt computer starts, I hear the cd rom running, all seems well. Just no signal getting to the monitor.
Next, I am thinking the video card (on board) is cooked, so I order a new one. I was ready for an upgrade anyway. I received the new video card today, popped it into pci express and the monitor still won't come on. I had the monitor hooked up through hdmi, so I switched it over to vga, still doesn't work.
Last, I tried to boot with the old hard drive that I know will boot fine, doesn't work.
What else can I try?

Edited by crybllrd, 24 December 2011 - 07:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Sounds like a memory error to me. Remove the additional memory and try to do a boot with just the old memory. If that works then add one stick at a time and determine which stick is faulty.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, It looks look you're right.
I took out the two new sticks and it started up with the old corrupted hard drive. I hooked up the new hard drive and get this:
Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.
I have the windows 7 cd in the cd rom and it has boot priority over the sata drive.

#4 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Update: BIOS sees my CD-ROM. When I boot into windows 7 on the corrupted hard drive, however, the cdrom is not shown in "Computer".
The CD-ROM is IDE.
Any ideas?

One other note: When I first booted with the new RAM, I booted onto the corrupted disk (before I had the new one, and all the problems) and it booted fine, and even showed all the RAM (5.75) on dxdiag.
Is it still a memory error? Is it fixable?

I am reposting this as another question: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic434373.html

Edited by crybllrd, 24 December 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#5 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:57 AM

*facepalm*
I figured it out: I reseated the IDE cable and all is well.
Thanks for your help, and have a Merry Christmas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users