Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden registry entries and hooks from root kit buster

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BSartist

BSartist

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

My system is running OK but I have reason to believe that passwords to online accounts have been compromised. I wanted to check for a root kit. I ran GMER and it didn't say I had a root kit but listed a bunch of SSDT entries. I ran Trend Micro RootKit Buster and says two threats: Two hidden registry entries for protected system storage provider as well as a bunch of hooks. I don't know which it considers the threats.

Is this something I should look deeper into by running more complete scans and posting logs?

Thank you.
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hello, post the Buster log with a DDS log.

We need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Include a link back to this topic.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

Not all hidden components detected by anti-rootkit (ARK) scanners and security tools are malicious. It is normal for a Firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware software, CD Emulators sandboxes, virtual machines and Host based Intrusion Prevention Systems (HIPS) to exhibit rootkit-like behavior or hook into the OS kernal/SSDT (System Service Descriptor Table) in order to protect your system. SSDT is a table that stores addresses of functions that are used by Windows. Whenever a function is called, Windows looks in this table to find the address for it. Both legitimate programs and rootkits can hook into and alter this table.

API Kernel hooks are not always bad since some system monitoring software and security tools use them as well. If no hooks are active on a system it means that all system services are handled by ntoskrnl.exe which is a base component of Windows operating systems and the process used in the boot-up cycle of a computer. ARK scanners do not differentiate between what is good and what is bad...they only report what is found. Therefore, even on a clean system some hidden essential components may be detected when performing a scan to check for the presence of rootkits. As such, you should not be alarmed if you see any hidden entries created by legitimate programs after performing a scan.

In most cases further investigation is required after the initial ARK scan by someone trained in rootkit detection or with advanced knowledge of the operating system. Report logs need to be analyzed and detected components identified in order to determined if they are benign, system critical or malevolent before attempted removal. Using an ARK scanner without knowing how to tell the difference between legitimate and malicious entries can be dangerous if a critical component is incorrectly removed.

If you are using a CD Emulator (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD, etc) be aware that they use rootkit-like techniques techniques techniques to hide from other applications. When dealing with a malware infection, CD Emulators can interfere with investigative or security tools. This interference can produce misleading or inaccurate scan results, false detection of legitimate files, cause unexpected crashes, BSODs, and general dross. This 'dross' often makes it hard to differentiate between genuine malicious rootkits and the legitimate drivers used by CD Emulators. Since CD Emulators use a hidden driver which can be seen as a rootkit and interfere with providing accurate results or cause other problems, it is recommended that you disable CD Emulation before using ARK tools.

Important Note: If you're unsure how to use a particular Anti-rootkit (ARK) tool or interpret the log it generates, then you probably should not be using it. Some ARK tools are intended for advanced users or to be used under the guidance of an expert who can interpret the log results and investigate it for malicious entries before taking any removal action. Incorrectly removing legitimate entries could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users