Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 juvefan

juvefan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

Hey all, i have an issue trying to load up windows xp pro. the other day i was running spybot, ad-aware, and avast. after everything came out ok i reboot to finish the install of an avast update. upon reboot i got as far as the screen that shows system information, and at the bottom of the screen it said searching for floppy boot record. then the screen goes blank except for the message "Error loading operating system". cannot get into safe mode or setup. have checked hd cables and reseated. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

It sounds like something in windows was corrupted. If you have a windows xp cd, try booting from cd and running recovery console. Here is a microsoft overview of how to use it.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...e_overview.mspx

If you have trouble booting from cd, go into bios setup and change boot order to have cd drive ahead of hard drive.

#3 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

Your problem is pretty simple, had this experience before and my solution was to run windows repair disc. One thing though, u are a home user so i suppose you are likely not to have such a disc. :thumbsup:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:10 PM

Another possible solution, maybe your BIOS has lost the HDD Geometry, enter the BIOS and set the Defaults, Save Changes & Exit.

#5 juvefan

juvefan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

i was able to enter bios and change boot order to cdrom before hd. and i was able to get to the recovery console. however it says that my hd has one or more unrecoverable errors. i will try to restore bios defaults when i get home from work. it does appear that windows can reinstall, is there a way to do this without losing any of my current files? can i create a new partition on my hd and install it there? i do have an older and smaller hd in another computer that i do not use, can i install that one in my current computer, install xp, then recover files from my wacky hd before reformatting it? thanks all for your help, it is greatly appreciated. as a extra note, once in recovery console i was able to run fixboot and fixmbr, however chkdsk was not able to run due to the errors on hd.

Edited by juvefan, 07 February 2006 - 01:13 PM.

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

This will explain how to run disk check from the recovery console and possibly repair the damage and allow you to boot up.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...-us/chkdsk.mspx

Edited by River_Rat, 07 February 2006 - 01:39 PM.

#7 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

Unrecoverable errors usually means serious problems. It's advisable to backup your data as soon as posible. Connect that old little disk; install Windows and backup your data.

Once your data is safe, delete partitions, re-partition and format the hard disk; if everything is OK after formatting, keep using the disk, if not, buy a new one.

#8 juvefan

juvefan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:27 PM

ok so here is the latest. i installed a different hd from older computer, put xp pro on it. however i still cannot access my original hd. i get messages that say it is not ready and do i want to format. would a file recovery program be able to save my files? are there any good freeware versions out there? or is the data gone?

#9 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

Your data must be there. It's only that is unreadable. I've succesfully used GetDataBack to recover data from unreadable disks, but it's not free. Have you tried to diagnose/repair the disk from the new installation?

Here are listed some free apps that might work:
http://www.data-recovery-applications.com/...ry-harddisk.php

#10 juvefan

juvefan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

thanks for the link. will give it a try when i get home and let you all know the result. thanks again for help.

#11 juvefan

juvefan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

ok so i have tried every data recovery software that i could find and still no luck. i keep getting the same errors. error 1 incorrect function and error 23 cyclic redundancy check. also they all keep telling me that the file system is FAT 12, which i thought was only for floppys. This PC has only had windows me and xp on it, so how can the file system not be NTFS?

#12 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:35 PM

Windows ME has Fat 32 as a file system, and if you upgraded to XP, it probably remained so. Try installing ME again on the damaged drive, although this does not guarantee to save your data.

#13 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

Actually, I don't think it's a good idea to keep on trying on that disk. If your data is valuable, look for a professional tool for data recovery, or take it to a good tech. service. Every attempt to fix or operating system reinstallation, reduces the possibilities of rescuing your data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users