Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Defrag my HDD

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 aka7plus

aka7plus

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:51 AM

Hi, I got problem with my 2nd laptop
I can't defrag my computer.
That's all.
They say they can't move file.
It's not a system file.
And i'm using admin account to defrag HDD.
I tried various defragger
Such as Auslogics and IObit.
Solution Plz?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:24 AM

Is it a single file that is unable to be moved? Which file and how big is it?

It's not always necessary for every file to be dealt with in order to defragment a drive, e.g.:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/01/25/disk-defragmentation-background-and-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx

"This means that there is a point after which combining fragmented pieces of files has no discernible benefit... Here is a scenario where a certain amount of fragmentation of data is just fine doing nothing to decrease this fragmentation turns out to be the right answer!"

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 aka7plus

aka7plus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

Is it a single file that is unable to be moved? Which file and how big is it?

It's not single file. It's over 30 files.
And size of the file, i can't say every size of file but
I saw few of them.
"Few" include system file(approximately 200KB) and game file(CoD MW1, bik file approximate 50 MB)

It's way 2 much.

I attached file to show you status of my computer.
(I didn't defrag it cuz it's waste of time. As i said B4, i can't defrag. After defraggin and when i re-analyze it, same map appear)

P.S: I erased the name of the file. But i left the location of it to give you idea.

Attached Files

Edited by aka7plus, 25 December 2011 - 03:20 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:23 AM

Ah, OK. When you posted "They say they can't move file. It's not a system file" I thought you meant only a single non-system file.

IMO 1% fragmentation and 30-odd files is not terrible out of how many thousands of files would be on the drive. But basically it should be a matter of working out why they are unmovable. You can try defrag in Safe Mode to eliminate locked/in use files, and look at the file Properties to see if there's any potentially restrictive ones you can uncheck such as Read Only.

If you can transfer a larger file off onto another partition/drive, that's a simple way to remove it from the scene when defragmenting, then after defrag, it should copy back unfragmented, or largely so.

If it is not possible to move a file off the drive, e.g. won't delete, that would warrant further investigation.

One worthwhile thing to try would be run Error Checking on the drive to ensure there's no file system corruption upsetting the operation of defrag.

#5 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

Hello Aka7plus,

Try this:

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

I have this program too and I must say that I am very happy with that.
The defrag program from Microsoft I don't use it.

Good luck

Edited by Computer-man, 25 December 2011 - 05:17 PM.

#6 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

I had a similar problem with my windows 7 machine and it was a permissions issue regardless of admin rights you need to take ownership of said files took me a month to read through all the hits even though ms says admin can do it its a little bit of trial and error i found this helped me hope it helps you link
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#7 aka7plus

aka7plus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:29 AM

IMO 1% fragmentation and 30-odd files is not terrible out of how many thousands of files would be on the drive. But basically it should be a matter of working out why they are unmovable. You can try defrag in Safe Mode to eliminate locked/in use files, and look at the file Properties to see if there's any potentially restrictive ones you can uncheck such as Read Only.

If you can transfer a larger file off onto another partition/drive, that's a simple way to remove it from the scene when defragmenting, then after defrag, it should copy back unfragmented, or largely so.

If it is not possible to move a file off the drive, e.g. won't delete, that would warrant further investigation.

One worthwhile thing to try would be run Error Checking on the drive to ensure there's no file system corruption upsetting the operation of defrag.

Hi, I tried to defrag my HDD in safe mode but it failed again.
When i checked my program file, folder "Program File" was Read only and i can't uncheck it.
It's grayed out.

I guess i will have 2 chk for HDD error but since it takes long time, i will post another reply if it succeeded.

Try this:

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

Um...That's the program i'm using

I had a similar problem with my windows 7 machine and it was a permissions issue regardless of admin rights you need to take ownership of said files took me a month to read through all the hits even though ms says admin can do it its a little bit of trial and error i found this helped me hope it helps you link

Ty 4 your help but since most of my file is unmovable which mean i will have to take every ownership.
It also lower my computer defense and i might delete sys file accidently.
Thank you for solution but it's not suitable for me.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:23 AM

Hi -
The Auslogisics Defrag program is the only 3rd party defragger I ever use on my Windows 7 SP1.
Never had any problems with it since I installed it.

Regards -

#9 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:45 AM

The Auslogisics Defrag program is the only 3rd party defragger I ever use on my Windows 7 SP1.
Never had any problems with it since I installed it.

I have also not problems with that.
It is a very good program, so it is strange that Aka7plus has problems with that.
Aka7plus I thought that you had problems with Windows Defraggler, so I am sorry that I didn't know that the Defraggler program from Auslogic is the trouble maker.
Maybe have you malware or other vulnerable on the Hd that cares that you cannot defrag the Hd.?
It is first, important that you take care that your Hd is free from Viruses and other vulnerable and also is it important that you check the Windows Registry for errors and the volume from the Hd.
For check volume can you to do: Chkdsk.
In Windows 7 must you run the Dos prompted box as Administrator, when you have right click on that icon and run the program as Administrator than do you chkdsk and enter.
Chkdsk program checked the volume, when there is a problem than do you chkdsk /r .

I think that when you do that, that Auslogic Defrag will working for you.

I will to say: Give it a change.

#10 aka7plus

aka7plus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hi, Thank you for replying back.
It's not only auslogics.
It include Smart Defrag made by IObit.
I tried several programs and i think there is problem with my HDD.
So, I checked my HDD for error few hours ago.
And they said i got no problem.
But i'm still failing to defrag my computer.
(I checked virus one week ago-none)

But i don't know how 2 check registry error.
Or do you mean registry error like this? : I used CCleaner for registry error and deleted some.

P.S-I can't use system restore 2 restore my computer back(I turned off system restore 4 more space)

#11 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

I am sorry for the late response.
I use CCleaner and with that program clean I my registry.
But with registry cleaners must you carefully, because when you made wrong settings, than will be delete registry values, what is not needed.
I use CCleaner what I did told and have the next settings:

I let you see this as attach.

I can tell you, I use CCleaner all many years and I have no problems.
I think when you have clean your registry and after that rebooted you your system, that the defrag program will be work.

Attached Files

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

I tested Registry cleaners in the past and they are a Epic Fail

I tested on a brand new install of windows with the makers drivers and MS updates up to date. The Registry cleaner found all kinds of errors on a perfectly running fresh install of Windows. Epic Fail to me.

FWIW right or wrong I have never defragged from XP to Windows 7 no defrag.
Now that I run a SSD boot drive that never needs defragging. and the data drives hold really big HD video for editing so IMHO not needed there either.

Cheers

Edited by rotor123, 31 December 2011 - 05:37 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

A registry cleaner would not affect defragmentation in any way, shape, or form. Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Edited by Andrew, 31 December 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#14 aka7plus

aka7plus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:15 AM

Hi
My computer is back from dead
Thank you for all people who tried to help me
I'm not saying that registry cleaning killed my computer.
My action killed my computer(UPGRADE FAIL: Home Premium to Home Premium)
and i reinstalled my W7 again(i didn't wanted to do this but i had to)

And now, everything works fine.
Thank you again.

---------------------Problem Solved-------------------

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

Thank you for letting us know how it was resolved aka7plus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users