Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

agent.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TreeHugger

TreeHugger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:32 AM

Recently I have been able to hear my computer "working very hard" when I enter the room. Sometimes the computer fan kicks on very high (which is loud and noticeable from other rooms in my house) because the computer has been "working so hard". This extra work that my computer is doing slows down any other programs tremendously and also makes shutting down of my computer take forever. When I open up the windows task manager a file named "agent.exe" is taking up large amounts of my memory usage (sometimes even up to 99% for short periods of time). I can't recall installing any new applications that would have allowed this to start showing up (unless the wife or kid did something I don't know about).

I downloaded "Process Explorer" from the Microsoft website and I am able to run this program to see what all the processes that are working in memory are from. I am able to "suspend" this process from occuring on the computer, however, I don't want to have to run this program and suspend the process everytime that I start the computer. This Process Explorer program also shows that this process is running from "Macrovision". I can't seem to find this software on the computer to uninstall. How can I remove this memory abusing program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:55 AM

Hi -
Just one solution to the Agent.exe problem, if you feel like trying it out -

I have figured out how to stop my agent.exe from running. I will post here what i did so if anyone else has the same problem as me you can fix it.
Go to start>run>and type in msconfig and click ok.

Now click startup and uncheck these items.
ISUSPM
itxtNodeId
Then click apply, then ok, and restart your computer

Let me know if this works for you also.

Thank You -
EDITED for reformat -

Edited by noknojon, 24 December 2011 - 04:58 AM.

#3 TreeHugger

TreeHugger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

Thank you! That seemed to have worked. I only had ISUSPM as an option to uncheck. I unchecked this and restarted the computer... now i am not having the agent.exe file in task manager and my computer seems to be running much faster. If you have any time to explain, i would like to know if the process that I just completed will have any side effects. I have no idea what I stopped from running besides agent.exe.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users